Data to Restore using mobile data

U

Unregistered

Any ideas what the "Data to Restore" app is and why is it using mobile data? Noticed on Data Sense it consumed 100mb of mobile data! On Lumia 925 WP8.1.

Antchexec

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it is the 'Apps & Settings' backup to One Drive. The size of your backup makes me suspect you have language packs downloaded in Bing Translator - probably two. This is a wild stab in the dark, but language packs are the only things I can establish, which cause the backup to be this large.

Without language packs the backup is about 17mb. With packs installed, it is roughly 50mb per pack extra. My data sense is showing 164mb by Wi-Fi and 164mb by mobile data, and that is since December 15th. This is clearly unacceptable. Though it will not cause me any problems, with my plan, it is likely to be a great problem for many. Perhaps Data Sense will adjust this based on the limits each user sets, but it is still likely use lots of data early in the month, which may be critical later, it seems to me. In any case, it seems to me that these updates are cumulative, not full backups every time; so that makes these data usage figures even more puzzling.

Notwithstanding my hypothesis above, I would be interested to hear if you do not have any offline language packs installed, just to see if this same issue can be caused by something else.

AndreiSo

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same problem, but at another level... :cry:
My mobile data counter just reseted and I already have a trafic of 523MB (mobile data) and 512MB (Wi-Fi data). This represents a big problem for me.
Last month I had about 600MB mobile data and 8.5 GB of Wi-Fi data used by "Restore Data" app.
Please help! I really need it.

Thank you!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have no such thing as "Data to Restore" showing in my Data Sense or Battery Saver lists.

I have one language pack for Bing translator and 4 language packs for Here Drive +.

There are 11 days left in my billing cycle and I have auto backup engaged. "Restore Data" has used 8MB of data.

xordium

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. "data to restore" used over 1GB of mobile data over night. Microsoft support helpfully suggested that I restore my phone from scratch. Having already blown my data limit I did so. In the ten days since it has used 1.6 GB of wireless data, and overnight another 350 MB of cellular even tho configured only to backup over wireless. This is since denim so my suspicion is there is a nasty bug in there. I'm going to turn off backups altogether to see if it stops it but all very frustrating.

Julian Williams2

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Data to restore 2.jpg All since May. Never before. Unreal - there must be a bug somewhere. I've deleted my backups and started to make new ones - stuck on 18%. Never had the problem before. Do people from Microsoft read this forum? BTW, I only have 1gb of mobile data. Resets 22nd June. If this carries on I'm basically screwed.

adamx98

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I might be taking the proverbial cake here... I'm showing it as having used 4gb. Now fortunately I have an old unlimited data plan, but I got an alert telling me I was near my "threshold" and would experience slow-downs if I cross the 5gb line. Couldn't happen at a worse time as I will be traveling this week on the road for several days and will be relying on my device for GPS, news, radio, and netflix/plex largely without access to WiFi.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it so it doesn't happen again? I mean, I'm already screwed... I would just like to avoid further issues.

Antchexec

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
First, I suggest you turn the backup off, for now, in view of your predicament (and make sure photos and videos are only over wifi, by saving at best quality).

For my part, the problem seems resolved, somehow. I am near the end of the month and have used 212mb over wireless and 4mb by mobile, but I have been connected by Wi-Fi for most of the time, I suppose. Either way, it would not be too bad, because I did do a manual backup, after clearing the One Drive copy, which took around 130mb of that 212mb.

lesnorman

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Data to Restore shows 850 MB download overnight

This is a complete mystery to me. Lumia 635 Data Sense / Data To restore shows a massive 850 MB usage overnight when I was not even touching the phone. No video, no Facebook, Twitter or anything to cause such a massive usage. Looking at TalkTalk records it show sup in 35 pages of 2.85MB downloads which may just be a breakdown of one enormous download. Does anyone have any idea what has happened here and what I can do to avoid a repetition. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy Blankenship

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Data to Restore shows 850 MB download overnight

This is also an issue on the Lumia 640, however I am not using the data to restore. For that reason I do not think that is the issue. I wonder if the issue is the data sense app needing fixed/updated?

To quote a post I put in another thread:

I was out shopping with the phone in my pocket doing "nothing" and when I got home I noticed a message on Data Sense app saying that I exceeded my usage amount. On the front of the app it is saying 7.43GB usage and when I swipe to the detail view on next screen it says 9.38GB usage. This when I have only used 243mb (180 being stupid auto updates turning phone on).
Off topic: Julian Williams2 how did you get the screenshot of your phone. I would like to add mine, but cannot figure out how to do it with my phone.

arg0g

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Had the same issue yesterday, when I figured out that on my Lumia 930 (on WP 8.1), "Data to Restore" had used 379MB of cellular data, causing Data Sense to restrict background data usage. If this is caused by the automatic cloud backup function of apps+settings, there should be at least an option do perform this backup on WiFi only, as there is for uploading photos+videos. I did not initiate any backup or restore myself, recently.

On a side note, I just noticed that, in the "mobile+SIM" settings page, I had turned on "For limited WiFi connectivity use mobile data". May this have been the cause of the massive mobile data usage? I mean, maybe I had WiFi turned on but was not connected to any network, when the system decided to perform a backup?

I have now turned this option, together with all backup functions off, at least until I can find an explanation of what "Data to Restore" is and does.

arg0g

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Data to Restore shows 850 MB download overnight

Off topic: Julian Williams2 how did you get the screenshot of your phone. I would like to add mine, but cannot figure out how to do it with my phone.
Just press the volume up and power buttons simultaneously: you'll hear a shutter sound and will find the screenshot in the Screenshots album of Photos.

Dylan peel

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
So this is a big problem that happens to loads of people using this phone ,and its costing 100s of pounds and its posted on the windows website but nobody has any answers im trying to fix this for a friend who is having a massive problem so seriously microsoft this is a new phone Fix this now its your problems of your phones that is causing 1000s of pounds of provlems

MarcozD1993

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I just woke up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water to find that my service provider sent me emails telling me that I've exhausted my data pack. I use a 1 GB pack and it has never run out in my course of having 3G for over 4 years. I go to data sense and, as you might have guessed, data to restore was the culprit having used 500+ MB of my pack. I looked to see how much it had used on WiFi this month and it was 4+ GB. I only have one language pack installed and it wasn't downloading any updates. No idea what is causing this.

Priyesh Karle

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone has solution for this issue???? Last night I loose 900mb because of data to restore app :/and on onedrive it is not showing if anything is uplaoded... And backup restore setting show app settings were backuped 4 months back. This happened to me 1st time in last 1 year..

arg0g

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
What I did is disable backups. Not sure whether this is a solution, since the issue did only happen once over the last years, but I haven't had the issue since and I do my backups manually when I'm on wifi...

WizardofOzDK

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
My phone has used about 7.5GB in the past 30 days, almost exhausting my plan limit. I have a theory on this problem and I think it's related to another. In this and other threads, there are references to backup not working for the past several months which I am also experiencing. I've discovered that by switching "App backup" off under Settings/Backup it's possible to successfully perform a backup with only the "Setting backup" turned on. When "App backup" is switched on, any attempt to manually backup fails and it seems to hang on various percentages depending on what apps are installed. There is another thread with suggestions on how to fix this, none of which have helped me.

My theory is that as automatic backup is failing on Wifi, the phone may be switching over to the phone network due to the "For limited Wifi connectivity" setting under Settings/mobile+SIM which in my case is set to "use mobile data". The Backup setting does not seem to offer any choice for using Wifi only, which in my mind would be a natural option to have. Any techies out there that can validate this theory and maybe what to do about it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro