I updated to cyan in India. I can't find Cortana even after changing the region. What should I do?

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem - I'm in China (apparently one of the countries where Cortana IS available), and my Lumia 925 was just updated today to Cyan WP 8.1. There is NO Cortana, or Xiao Na for that matter. I have gone into Settings > Applications and there is no Cortana in the list. What's the deal? Also, what about all those different glance screen / lock screen styles I've been seeing pictures of? Was that not part of updating to 8.1? Or is that coming with the next WP 8.1 update 1?

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't changed my region (currently set to Canada, English), and my language shows two: English (Canada), and English (United States). I would rather not my region set to China, as my lockscreen format then changes to a Chinese date/time format and is unreadable by me.

dinchy87

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Can it be that this update 1 for wp8.1 has disabled cortana for non US Users so even after switching the region and language there is no cortana, no quite hours, nothing. Before i could search for quite hours in bing search and i get it on the "phone" tab as setting and could access it. But now nothing. No Cortana and no quite hours. Microsoft seems to have limited this to location based data so if the users is not in this country its disabled :( l

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Guys!

I had followed these steps for upgrading to cyan . Currently I am in step " Settings -> Phone Update -> Check for Updates"

Settings -> Backup -> Apps+Settings -> Back up now*
- Downgrade to 8.0 using Nokia Recovery Tool
- Don't login using your microsoft account (skip step - very important)
- Settings -> Phone Update -> Check for Updates
- Finish all updates until none are found
- Settings -> About -> Reset your phone
- Now login using microsoft account

and it is still Lumia Black. There is an update windows 8.1 asking me to install and accept the terms and conditions. The software version is 8.10.12393.890 and clicking install goes to the agreement page. Please note that I havnt still logged in with my account.

I wanted to know, since at this stage extra+info is Lumia black, Is it still again DP that is coming to install or official 8.1. Or cyan will appear once i click install?

I had an update saying, now this update, will make ur device suitable to 8.1 earlier. Please help! Shud i proceed

grevenilvec75

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
The way I fixed mine is to got so settings -> Language

I had two settings in there, the first was English (United Kingdom) and the second was English (United States). If you press and holld the one that says English (United States), it pops up a menu which allows you to "Move up" (I.E. move the English (United States) to the top of the list, I guess so it gets priority over all the others.) It then asked me to restart my phone, and after it restarted, Cortana was there in my app list.

I was not on any sort of developer preview. I just updated my phone normally when it alerted me that there was an update available.

Hope this helps.

Gaurav Tyagi

May 29, 2014
Visit site
The way I fixed mine is to got so settings -> Language

I had two settings in there, the first was English (United Kingdom) and the second was English (United States). If you press and holld the one that says English (United States), it pops up a menu which allows you to "Move up" (I.E. move the English (United States) to the top of the list, I guess so it gets priority over all the others.) It then asked me to restart my phone, and after it restarted, Cortana was there in my app list.

I was not on any sort of developer preview. I just updated my phone normally when it alerted me that there was an update available.

Hope this helps.
It is not cortona alpha, it is that cortona which was designed for United States. Cortona and cortona alpha are different things. Cortona have u.s. accent and cortona aplha have british accent.
FYI, cortona was also available before cyan update, we only have to change our region to u.s., language to english u.s. and speech to english u.s.
But sometimes cortona does not understand what you are saying if you have british accent.
Cortona alpha is now only available to the peoples who have wp8.1 GDR1.
And for cortona alpha, we don't have to change region, i am running it on india region, language english india and speech english u.k.
I hope everyone now understands everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6