Just got cyan/8.1 update but no Cortana?

W

WPCentral Question

Lumia 1020, just updated a few hours ago. When i hold the magnifying glass icon, I can speak, and I hear a female voice reading what I said back to me (I think this is the default text to speech voice, but i've never used it before so I don't know, It definitely doesnt sound like Cortana), but it doesnt have the purplish ring symbol that i've seen in all the news articles, and she doesnt answer any of the silly questions.

My region is set to United States and the format is set to english. The speech language is set to US/English also.

Theres no Cortana "app" on the app store. I assumed she came bundled with the 8.1 update, what gives?

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. I'm in China, and just received the cyan/8.1 update. There is NO Cortana. My location services are turned on. My region is set to Canada, and my language is set to English. I have gone into Settings > Applications, and there is no "Cortana" (or "Xiao Na" for that matter) in the list. What's the deal??

wp_ss_20140815_0001.png

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I'm in China, and just received the cyan/8.1 update. There is NO Cortana. My location services are turned on. My region is set to Canada, and my language is set to English. I have gone into Settings > Applications, and there is no "Cortana" (or "Xiao Na" for that matter) in the list. What's the deal??

View attachment 76705
Non USA version of Cortana was enabled in the 8.1 Update 1 update which only folks on Preview for Developers have received, you should have OS version 8.10.14147.180 and set your region, language both to China to get Xiao Na

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Non USA version of Cortana was enabled in the 8.1 Update 1 update which only folks on Preview for Developers have received, you should have OS version 8.10.14147.180 and set your region, language both to China to get Xiao Na

Then why under feature service and availability does it seem to say that Cortana IS available? (see screenshot below - taken via a link found in my messages about "new fun stuff that's in your Windows Phone 8.1 update")

wp_ss_20140815_0002.png

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It's available with 8.1 update 1, which you can only get currently if in the dev preview. Yes it's available in you're region, but only if you have update 1 installed.
Somebody has mentioned this already, but you didn't seem to believe them.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Could you please advise on what the correct setup is then please? I currently have my region set to Canada, and my language set to English US.

If you haven't updated to the latest Update 1 (see version number in my post above) then the only way you can get Cortana is by setting Region to US and Keyboard to US English. If you have updated to Update 1 then Region as Canada would work

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't updated to the latest Update 1 (see version number in my post above) then the only way you can get Cortana is by setting Region to US and Keyboard to US English. If you have updated to Update 1 then Region as Canada would work

Well I never had the developer preview so that disqualifies me from getting the update 1 probably for awhile yet. However I did change everything to English US, and Cortana is there now. Will she still work in terms of getting information relevant to my location though? (I'm currently living and working in China)

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Nope it might not
It seems she is not very smart, relevant to my current location. For example, when asked for directions to the airport, she would only pull up Bing searches of common American airports. I guess I need to wait for the region specific version to be available for my device. I'm still concerned though that I won't be able to use Xiao Na in English, thus the personal assistant will be completely useless to any foreigners living in China using Windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)