Garmin GPS replacement app

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Garmin nuvi gps' for a long time now, lived having a dedicated unit. My current device is the nulink 1695, but it seems att has started turning out the lights. I'm no longer getting traffic data, and it's time to get a replacement. I have tried several of the free apps, and frankly, their not living up to the nuvi. I've got my eyes on both the Garmin street pilot app and the navigon apps, but they are pricey, and have either limited trials or no trial. Can someone who has used them give me some ideas how they operate? Reliable? Similarity to the nuvi?

I've looked at me nuvis, but they twitter two things for days transfer now, a Bluetooth connection (so hands free with the car is out), and the Garmin smart phone link app(ios/android). I've emailed Garmin about getting a windows phone app, the people in customer service seemed to have little intention of getting my request to where it needed to be.

I've invested$20 into copilot thus far, and only used it on short drives, it's ok, but doesn't quite live up to my nuvi imo.

Thanks for any help/guidance on this.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Only one I've paid into is copilot. I'm hoping someone has tried the others.... Kinda feel like I may have thrown$20 away on copilot so far. Could be wrong, but interface is just too intricate to operate while driving, and it doesn't seem to automatically recalculate.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Really!?... LOL... thanks for sharing, I just purchased copilot last night!
We decided to pull the trigger on the same one!

I really did not find the interface to be complicated, for now I think I'll just pass on the 10 a year traffic information until I tested this toughly.
But so far I've liked it.
It's strange android user get one full year of traffic information while windows users get 15 days.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
When I say intricate, didn't intend to mean complicated. I mean the touch points are fairly small, shop if you're bouncing around on the road and need to interface with it, I find it hard to accurately hit the touch point I want. Also, it could do with louder volume. Again, anybody out there tried street pilot or navigon?

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
First observation... My cr200 doors not provide enough juice, copilot was marginal. Navigon seems fine in morning commute, but sucked down 30% while charging on evening commute. I'll try using my 3amp rocket fish charger tomorrow. I'm thinking temperatures play a factor. Probably didn't help that I was on the phone while navigating... Navigon is much closer to my Garmin than copilot. The voiced instructions are much more relevant, and the maps, at least for the Dallas area are up to date, and roads change frequently here. Another nuance is service roads. Every exit to copilot was exit to service road exit xx, with navigon it says exit ramp to the proper road name instead of the paralleled service road. If I can solve the power draw, than I've found my app. The panoramic view in navigon is very nice, and having a sky that reflects the suns position and the moon, and apparently the weather is a nice touch. Not sure how live it is, will update when the weather changes. Haha.

Another question.... Is there another qi charger similar to the cr200 that puts out more amps?

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I researched significantly for a wired/wireless charger for my 1520.3 to use while navigating/Bluetooth. I discovered the following:

1) No current wireless charger can provide enough charge to offset the power consumption of LTE, navigation, and with/without Bluetooth.
2) Wired charger can provide enough charge in the aforementioned scenario but will require 3A, a rare capability for car chargers.
3) Significant heat will be generated by phone during navigation use. I offset this through AC by having my 1520.3 vent mounted.

I currently have a Choetech wireless car charger I purchased from Amazon (unfortunately no link capability until after this post!)

Future Qi wireless charging capabilities are slated to increase output. I did not find a timetable for these chargers. Additionally, while the new chargers are compatible with old devices, charging output will reduce the charging current to current levels. So there is no Qi solution for the navigation scenario.

I am interested in your Rocketfish 3A car charger. Can you provide info? Thanks!

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to add that I agree with your assessment of Navigon app. The reason is that Garmin owns Navigon, which is why the user interface and even the TTS voice is the same.

Due to the aforementioned charging/heat issues, I prefer to use my heavily customized Garmin Nuvi 660 and just wireless charge my 1520.3. For rare driving trips to NYC, I tend to use Waze for traffic (no further updates, curse you Google:angry:)

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what a cr200 is, nor what doors have to do with GPS?
I will say that I have been using Navigon for many years and have tried the other competitors and always found them lacking. Navigon uses Nokia's Navteq maps, arguably, the best maps available. The maps are downloaded onto your phone so they work when there is no internet service and it works without internet, if you don't have affordable / unlimited internet service.
Navigon is not free. I am happy to pay for an excellent full featured app.

(Like so many things now days, Navigon used to be even better, even more full featured, years ago on Windows Mobile.)

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
First observation... My cr200 doors not provide enough juice, copilot was marginal. Navigon seems fine in morning commute, but sucked down 30% while charging on evening commute. I'll try using my 3amp rocket fish charger tomorrow. I'm thinking temperatures play a factor. Probably didn't help that I was on the phone while navigating... Navigon is much closer to my Garmin than copilot. The voiced instructions are much more relevant, and the maps, at least for the Dallas area are up to date, and roads change frequently here. Another nuance is service roads. Every exit to copilot was exit to service road exit xx, with navigon it says exit ramp to the proper road name instead of the paralleled service road. If I can solve the power draw, than I've found my app. The panoramic view in navigon is very nice, and having a sky that reflects the suns position and the moon, and apparently the weather is a nice touch. Not sure how live it is, will update when the weather changes. Haha.

Another question.... Is there another qi charger similar to the cr200 that puts out more amps?
It would make a bigger difference in warm or sunny weather if you either put something to block the sun directly behind the phone or aimed an ac vent at the phone as qi varies amp output depending on several factors 1 being temperature. So if you are using the phone for navi, charging it, and the sun is beating down on it the phone will warm up enough to turn down the charge rate to protect the battery. If you can keep the phone cooler it will charge faster.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I am interested in your Rocketfish 3A car charger. Can you provide info? Thanks!

Pretty sure this is it, site doesn't list the tech specs of iI, but same name and look of the one I bought about a year ago, which is 3a. At the time it had enough juice to keep my phone charged even while using the early version of waze.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/de...fish Car Charger &cp=1&lp=8&pid=1218221913668

Still can't find the specs on my phone. Head over to a best buy, specs I know were on the box, should be 3.1amp.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I got Copilot last night since it is on sale and with free traffic add-on for a couple of weeks.

I really like it... and the traffic seems to work well.

They have 2 specific region version which include (at least the US) one year of traffic for 7.99.
For me it was cheaper to re-buy the region specific as opposed to buying just the traffic information which is 9.99.

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to add a recent experience with copilot.
Yesterday I used CoPilot USA to guide to Ikea Elizabeth NJ.
To find the address I used the POI and used google search... big mistake.
I ended up in the middle of the highway passing Ikea by the backside with no access to store.
I think the only way to really get reliable navigation is by entering address following zip, street and number.
Using this method I ended up going to the right place, but it really sucked yesterday!!!

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to add a recent experience with copilot.
Yesterday I used CoPilot USA to guide to Ikea Elizabeth NJ.
To find the address I used the POI and used google search... big mistake.
I ended up in the middle of the highway passing Ikea by the backside with no access to store.
I think the only way to really get reliable navigation is by entering address following zip, street and number.
Using this method I ended up going to the right place, but it really sucked yesterday!!!

Probably because the Google POI is actually the store itself and not a road. Copilot simply took you the most direct way to the point closest to the poi. Only Google Maps would be able to discern that the poi is actually a poi and not just a random map point.

You are right.... when selecting a poi, make sure there is an address associated with it.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
The more I try to transition away from the Garmin I had the more I realize that this is a bad mistake. I've tried contacting Garmin about bringing is smartphone link app to WP, but I can't get past the customer service rep.... Who doesn't care. Anyway know a way to contract then directly? Or better yet, have MS contract them???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro