Slow since Cyan update

W

WPCentral Question

I've updated my 920 with Cyan, and now it runs slower than with Black.
Any way to fix this? Or is it intended?
Is there a way to restore to black without loosing all the data (contacts, calendar)?

Thanks.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Don't reset your data, it will not impact performance because you are going to end up downloading the same apps again.

Windows Phone 8.1(Cyan) is slower than Lumia Black because Microsoft added new resource intensive features.

That's just the way it is.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 was slow to start with but after a few days it was fine and made my battery last 20% longer with heavy use, and other 1520 users say the same that I have seen. I did do a few hard resets for other reasons. If that made a difference I wouldn't know but give it a few days and it may be worth to drain your battery to 0% just to recalibrate it. But after a few days it will be back to normal.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
My 1520 was slow to start with but after a few days it was fine and made my battery last 20% longer with heavy use, and other 1520 users say the same that I have seen. I did do a few hard resets for other reasons. If that made a difference I wouldn't know but give it a few days and it may be worth to drain your battery to 0% just to recalibrate it. But after a few days it will be back to normal.

I would agree with switch here, sometimes phones just need to recalibrate but it's mostly for batteries and not for performance.

My Nexus 5's battery got better after extended use.(others have also reported this)

But as far as performance goes, I tried Windows Phone 8(Black) and 8.1(Cyan) on the 520, it did impact performance quite a bit but was still usable.

Considering that the 920 has more powerful hardware you might experience some slow downs every now and then but 8.1 will run smoothly most times.

I hope the next thing to do with Windows Phone for Microsoft is to add performance improvements because recent updates have somewhat degraded performance.

But I talked to some developers of Windows Phone( I was planning to become one myself) and the developers said that the UI has become a bit slower in 8.1 but the apps will get faster, due to a kernel update.

oblique1

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys!

I've been running Cyan for almost a week now, and the change so far is minor (I mean it's better than initially, but not as smooth as Black). For instance screen tearing in IE can be seen easily, while no such thing existed on Black. The phone is 100% useable with Cyan, but I do miss the "snappiness" feel of Black.
I don't complain on battery life, just the performance. It did drain to 0% (unintentionally) once though. But generally I do see an improvement in battery life.

I'll give it a few more days I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett