Why dont I have cortana and live folders ?

AJ98

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I am running 8.10.12400.899 Dev. Preview. I updated my phone yesterday and idont see cortana nor live folders ? In cortana's case I live in US my setting are set to US for region language and speech. And still I don't see Cortana. Live folders ? I think they are in wp8.1 update 1 but my phone says I am up to date. Any solutions or experiencing same problem?

tejanaqkilica

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Go to settings, swipe right and check for Cortana there, and it can't be possible to not have live folders, check your phone software for updates, then try making a live folder by putting one tile on the start screen over an other

lrn2board

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Check to see if you received Lumia cyan by checking your extra and info in settings. This will activate live folders I believe. For cortana, because your phone is tied to that company, telstra, in Australia, and they haven't received Cortana yet, you cannot access it. There is a way I believe if you flash the American (or British or Chinese) 'roms' (I don't know another word for it) you will have access, but because the original location of the phone doesn't support it yet, nor will your phone. If you search the web for Cortana outside US, you should be able to do it. Also are you on a Lumia device or def manufacturer?

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Tried that. But the language stood the same. And I don't have the option choose language. ;(

Okay, you're looking in Settings, language, right? Is English (United States) listed as an installed language? If so, it's probably below English (United Kingdom). If it is, tap and hold English (United States) until the context menu comes up, then tap move up. It should put it at the top of the list, thereby changing your language setting. If you DON'T have English (United States) installed, you'll have to add it first, then make sure it's at the top of the list. If you have trouble doing any of this, it would help to see a screen shot so we all know what you're seeing.

I'm kind of at a loss as to why you can't get GDR1. The current version number is 8.10.14157.200 - this is the update plus the small patch for it. If you have the Preview for Developers app properly installed and enabled it should find the updates to bring you to this level. The only thing I can think of to try, short of a hard reset or doing the full reinstall with NSRT, is to uninstall the Preview app, then install it again and flip the switch. It's possible it's just not installed correctly.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

AJ98

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20140827_0008.pngwp_ss_20140827_0007.pngwp_ss_20140827_0005.pngwp_ss_20140827_0006.pngwp_ss_20140827_0004.png

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
The reason I am not getting the update is I think because of the bitlocker error

The Bitlocker problem is only supposed to apply to getting the Cyan firmware update. I was able to get GDR1 and the subsequent patch on my 920 running Black with no issues.

I know you've checked the Preview for Developers app several times. Did you ever try disabling it, then enabling it again? Or did you try uninstalling it and reinstalling it per my previous suggestion yet?

Your language settings in your screen shots all look correct for Cortana. They actually appear identical to mine, and I've had Cortana since April.

I'm concerned that you may have an installation that didn't go quite right. If that's the case, you may need to do a hard reset or even backtrack with the Nokia Software Recovery Tool and reload, unless someone comes up with a solution that works.

Best of luck!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa