Cyan on 920, not impressed ...

W

WPCentral Question

Hi
Yesterday my Lumia 920 Updated to Cyan & Im not really impressed so far.
For starters, I didnt get Cortana, which being in Australia I thought Id get ... The biggest thing I hate about it is the new Internet Explorer. I have it set for Desktop version of websites, & sites like Facebook now go to the Mobile version of the site. It always redirects to m.facebook... & its pretty useless to me. I usually use the Desktop Facebook site & the Facebook app to get what I want, but I cant do that now. Ironically I now have the 920 set to internet sharing & my old Lumia 800 linked in so I can use its explorer.

Any ideas how I can get this working? Right now Id like to roll back the update ...

Im also not sure about the battery life Ive got out of this today, but I'll monitor that over the next few days ...

Shervrar

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey there.
Although I do not have your phone model, for Cortana I would try following this guide:
Activate Cortana alpha version in India, Canada, and Australia | Windows Phone Central
For Internet Explorer.....as far as I know (and I might be wrong) the problem lies with websites just ignoring your settings and forcing their mobile view on you.
You could try installing UC Browser | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (Australia)
It has multiple options for User Agents, so you might have more luck using UC Browser and setting it to Desktop.
It's not the most elegant solution, but better than having to use 2 devices to accomplish a simple task :)

Pranay1995

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes internet explorer on cyan(on 520) sucks big time. Every time i switch to anothet tab and switch back to the older one, it starts reloading(1. even if i switch back to it in a second, 2. No apps running except the IE). Am i the only one facing the issue??

BHarra

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I quite like the update and the changes and improvements of the update to 8.1 but as I am in the UK I would have thought that Cortana would be installed. Speech works but only for searching on the net. I thought it is available in the UK and I can't find it under Settings > Apps
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Cortana outside the USA only works in the developer preview of Windows Phone that means Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1 (or 8.1.1) That's why you don't have it.

For IE some websites will completely ignore the USER_AGENT (the code saying what kind of web browser you have) even if you set it to desktop version. As Shervrar said, try UC Browser it uses a different kind of engine so perhaps you have a better shot at the desktop site with it.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Cortana outside the USA only works in the developer preview of Windows Phone that means Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1 (or 8.1.1) That's why you don't have it.

For IE some websites will completely ignore the USER_AGENT (the code saying what kind of web browser you have) even if you set it to desktop version. As Shervrar said, try UC Browser it uses a different kind of engine so perhaps you have a better shot at the desktop site with it.
You don't need DP to get Cortana outside USA. Just change region, language, and spoken to USA English.

Biggzie666

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
One of the reasons Im disappointed with Cortana is that on the windowsphone.com site it says this:
"Cortana

Cortana is available in Australia, Canada, China, the United Kingdom and the United States. "
that's cut & pasted from their site.
I don't want to change regions etc because that stuffs other things up ...

Biggzie666

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try installing UC Browser ...
I did just try & install this from my computer & noticed something else has changed. It wont send it to my phone, it wants to install this on my PC ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium