Nokia Software Recovery Tool....(will it flash a 1020 back to its original ROM?)

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello there knowledgeable WPCentral people!
I installed a CV rom on my mum's 64GB Lumia 1020 (in order to get rid of the O2 carrier branding and get quicker updates).
However, the CV ROM causes no end of wifi problems - with the entire wifi settings becoming completely unresponsive.
Additionally, O2 have pushed out the Cyan update quicker than Nokia for the CV version.
So my question - if I use the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, will it reinstall the original O2 firmware? Or will it just reinstall the CV ROM that I added myself.

(I'm never going to debrand a phone again --- it's been nothing but trouble!)

Many thanks

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It will restore the same CV rom region. Why not flash another rom version using Nokia Care suite. Another version might fix issue.

The original O2 rom definitely works perfectly (I had it on my old 64GB 1020). The problem I have is that I no longer know exactly which ROM the 64GB O2 1020's actually use. (I'm guessing it's the nuances of having that slightly different hardware configuration that has resulted in my mum's phone having such wifi issues).
I was hoping the Nokia Software Recovery Tool would just flash it back to the original O2 ROM (maybe by looking at the device ID) rather than the CV rom. That doesn't seem to be the case...

I guess I'll just have to commit some more time to researching exactly which O2 ROM is correct - and then flash it via Nokia Care Suite.

By the way, do you have any suggestions about how to make the reinstallation process easier? I have sync'd the Microsoft account, and also run a backup under apps+settings. I've also taken screenshots of the home screen layout, and the app list (though I think WP8.1 reinstalls that automatically anyway). Is there anything else I should be doing (I've obviously copied over the photos)?

Thanks for your input :)

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If you hard reset the phone, you're probably going to go back to the flashed version (not the original), but since you're pretty much screwed, might be worth a try.

There is another method of hard reset, Google 'Lumia 1020 Service Manual' for a key combo to hard reset the device. Before doing so ...
  • make sure you've backed up (unless you have a good backup pre-flash)
  • backup all media to another device (PC, laptop, tablet, etc)
go thru the process, then, let us know ... worst case, you're NO worse off, you may then be ready to take the legitimate update.

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you hard reset the phone, you're probably going to go back to the flashed version (not the original), but since you're pretty much screwed, might be worth a try.

There is another method of hard reset, Google 'Lumia 1020 Service Manual' for a key combo to hard reset the device. Before doing so ...
  • make sure you've backed up (unless you have a good backup pre-flash)
  • backup all media to another device (PC, laptop, tablet, etc)

go thru the process, then, let us know ... worst case, you're NO worse off, you may then be ready to take the legitimate update.

Thanks for the tips. I did make a previous comment about the backup steps I had already taken - however, my post needs to be approved by the moderator.
I think I'll try and download an O2 rom....and then I'll give the Nokia Software Recovery tool a try. If that fails, I'll reinstall the O2 rom in the same way I installed the CV rom. Once that has installed, I'll probably just run it through Nokia Software Recovery just for good measure :). (I've definitely been put off the idea of flashing international roms. It's been a real hassle...one which I'll definitely avoid in the future :). Developer Preview also helps offset any carrier related update delays)

AnestisL820

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello there knowledgeable WPCentral people!
I installed a CV rom on my mum's 64GB Lumia 1020 (in order to get rid of the O2 carrier branding and get quicker updates).
However, the CV ROM causes no end of wifi problems - with the entire wifi settings becoming completely unresponsive.
Additionally, O2 have pushed out the Cyan update quicker than Nokia for the CV version.
So my question - if I use the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, will it reinstall the original O2 firmware? Or will it just reinstall the CV ROM that I added myself.

(I'm never going to debrand a phone again --- it's been nothing but trouble!)

Many thanks

I installed a CV ROM on my Lumia 820 in order to get cyan quicker but no luck and i had pfd installed. So i wanted to go back without pfd... I used Nokia Software Recovery Tool to downgrade and it recognized my phone as branded (which it was when i bought it) and reinstalled that rom... So I guess that it will reinstall your original ROM.. And i think if you connect your phone NSRT will say which ROM will install... You can give it a try... :)

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I have downloaded and run the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. As expected, it is just going to revert me to the flashed rom, rather than the original O2 64GB rom. As such, I need to flash the following ROM onto my phone;

059T8G0 RM-875 VAR EURO GB O2 SL 64GB YELLOW

If memory serves, there's a thread on XDA that shows how to install such a rom using the Nokia Care Suite. However, a good 20 minutes of google/XDA searching has got me no-where.

Can anyone help point me in the direction of the how-to guide for installing different rom's using the Care Suite.

Thank you

EDIT - found the solution. Just waiting for the 1.5GB rom to download from Nokia!
Thanks for everyone's help - I appreciate it

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It appears (after reading the M8 reset article) that the HARDWARE KEY COMBO HARD reset will take your device back to FACTORY (if I read it, correctly). a fallback, if necessary ...

spinzeroWL

May 16, 2013
Visit site
As an update to this thread...
I tried reinstalling using Nokia Software Recovery Tool. As expected, it would have just returned the phone to the CV firmware that I had flashed (and which was causing the problems).
I therefore used the Data Package thing in Nokia Care Suite to download the correct 64GB O2 firmware...and then flashed it using Care Suite. The process was seamless, and the phone works perfectly (with no wifi issues!!).
The only problem I have is this one;
(http) forums.wpcentral.com/ask-question/306615-ongoing-gallery-bug-there-solution.html

Thanks for all your help!

sp8y

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Just seen this thread so my input won't help but my Lumia 920 came originally locked to EE with an EE ROM & EE product code.

I had flashed the CV UK on it get quicker updates & as Cyan was not released I checked on Nokia Software Recovery Tool which, if I went ahead, was going to flash it with the original EE ROM for that product code so it would have then been back to as it left the factory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes