What program are you using to sync music?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
How are you putting music and playlist on your WP? Do you keep your music on iTunes and sync with that? Are you using Windows media player? What's a good way to manage music files and get it on your phone? I'm really curious to what are all the options we have.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Windows Media Player works for transferring music for me. I tried the Windows Phone App a while back... for about 5 minutes then gave up.
I haven't seen a way of actually syncing though i.e. playcounts etc. synchronise between the phone and a PC application.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I use the app to sync my iTunes playlist over. Or at least I did.

Then I decided to just clear out the playlist for songs I actually want to listen to (trim the fat!), manually copied to files over to the phone with File Explorer, and then let random do it's thing. Works for me

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just keep my music sorted with decent tags and just keep them on my music folder on OneDrive

In the event I have to reload my music, I just copy the entire folder over to my phone using Explorer. (or Finder, for those with Macs, etc.)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So you manually just drag and drop files into your phone from OneDrive? But you can't do playlist like that, can you?

I don't usually deal with playlists.
Although I experimented with one in the modern/metro Music app on my PC and I found it appear on my Lumia. Although I don't know how well or bad it works.

Speaking of which, I really need playlists now actually.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Since my music is totally and awesomely tagged with album art and likes, I just use cygwin to generate a random list of music files while I then copy to my phone.

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've got ~140GB of music, and always use Zune and its autoplaylists on my PC, but I could never find a good way to directly sync all of the songs from a playlist like we did with WP7.

So, I actually made my own program to read my Zune playlists and copy those songs into a separate folder (one for DRM Xbox Music songs, and one for non-DRM songs) - from there I just drag and drop the non-DRM songs with Explorer to my phone, then use the Windows Phone "Metro" app to sync the DRM protected files. It works well enough - and I'm not sure whether there's any other way to go about this yet (anyone else know?).

I'll be using Zune on my PC until they get a proper replacement for it and all of its features, so it feels like it was worth the effort (which really wasn't too much).

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I really don't understand Xbox music app. How does that even work for PC users who don't have an Xbox at all. Maybe it l Microsoft so look into merging all of it together for some cohesion.

Xbox Music is just branded as such because MS decided it was a good idea to put all of their entertainment offerings under the Xbox name. I think it's a pretty stupid decision myself, not to mention it just sounds dumb compared to just "Zune", but it is what it is.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I've got ~140GB of music, and always use Zune and its autoplaylists on my PC, but I could never find a good way to directly sync all of the songs from a playlist like we did with WP7.

So, I actually made my own program to read my Zune playlists and copy those songs into a separate folder (one for DRM Xbox Music songs, and one for non-DRM songs) - from there I just drag and drop the non-DRM songs with Explorer to my phone, then use the Windows Phone "Metro" app to sync the DRM protected files. It works well enough - and I'm not sure whether there's any other way to go about this yet (anyone else know?).

I'll be using Zune on my PC until they get a proper replacement for it and all of its features, so it feels like it was worth the effort (which really wasn't too much).
That sounds very impressive. If your can do it, why can't Microsoft?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077