WP8 newbie, switched from Android

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

Hey guys. Today I got Lumia 925. I used android before this phone, so I obviously have some questions. My Lumia is on Cyan.

First and foremost, something that took half of my day. How to transfer my synced contacts from Android? I tried almost everything I found on web. I sold my android device. I used autosync on it, so all my contacts should be synced, but on google account there are no contacts except some I added a long time ago via email. I use/ed my hotmail adress as gmail account. Recently, google created gmail acc for me, but I can still use my hotmail acc to sign in, even though it transfers my to that gmail acc. Anyway, tl; dr I cannot sync my contacts. I can't export them to CSV, I added all these accounts on my phone and still nothing :S

Second thing I want to ask is, where do I find alarm on WP? I just can't find it :S

Viber and WhatsApp do not work properly, right? I mean, Viber doesn't work in the background, and WA said something about latest update and not working properly on it.

I probably have many more things to ask, but my head hurts because of that hussle with contacts. I have entered my email adress and password for at least 20 times today, I just take it anymore :)
Overall, for now, I am satisfied with my phone and with WP8, even though there are some things I dislike, but I don't have enough energy to talk about them. I miss swype so much, as it doesn't work on my language. Heck, my language (Bosnian) isn't even officially supported, but there is no swype on croatian which I use as a replacement for Bosnian. I will give this phone and OS a fair chance, as I really want to use it.

anon(5338685)

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone :) Hope you have a good time here. I'll try addressing some of your concerns here:

1) Contacts: Go to https://people.live.com/ and log in with your hotmail/outlook account. At the bottom you will have an option to import contacts. Upon clicking "Start Import", you should be given an option to import contacts from your google account and an other option where you can upload the CSV file. Once the accounts are imported and synced, they should slowly sync to your mobile.

2) Viber works in background. You will get a viber call even if Viber isn't running in the foreground. In the battery saver app, you can see which all apps are allowed to run in the background. You should see Viber as being allowed to run in background. If it isn't just enable it :).

3) Whatsapp works properly as well. It is just not fully compatible with WP8.1 yet but overall it works smoothly. They just give you one prompt at first launch to inform that they haven't integrated all the features of WP8.1 yet.

4) The keyboard on WP8.1 is a Word Flow keyboard. It works similar to swype but currently it only supports English. Really sorry to hear that your language isn't supported yet! Hope they add it soon.

Hope all this address your issues. Once again welcome to WP and feel free to ask any more questions.

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello there and welcome to WPC. Hope you find your Lumia 925 exciting to use.
1. Regarding contacts, if you have your contacts synched in any of your mail accounts outlook or Google, use the built in mail app to sign in to that account and contacts will be synced to your device and you can find them in the people app if you scroll to the right. In case you have multiple accounts signed in, you can use the filter contacts menu to display only the contacts from a certain account.
If you still have the old phone, you can use the ' transfer my data' app to move contacts and messages to your new phone and I assume it has tutorials in it too.
2. Scroll to the app list and you will find the alarm listed there are the top
3. I'm not sure about viber but WhatsApp works just fine but with few features from android not available at the moment

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Are you kidding me? It should be there in App list. Swipe to right from Start Screen and you should get an app as "Alarms" :)
And, yes Viber does not work in background on WP 8.1. Not sure about v8 but it definitely works in background on WP7.8.

anon(5338685)

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me? It should be there in App list. Swipe to right from Start Screen and you should get an app as "Alarms" :)
And, yes Viber does not work in background on WP 8.1. Not sure about v8 but it definitely works in background on WP7.8.

Are you sure about Viber not working in background? I am using the WP8.1 with Cyan and it works perfectly fine for me. I always receive Viber calls even when the app is not running.

Last edited:

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. Today I got Lumia 925. I used android before this phone, so I obviously have some questions. My Lumia is on Cyan.

First and foremost, something that took half of my day. How to transfer my synced contacts from Android? I tried almost everything I found on web. I sold my android device. I used autosync on it, so all my contacts should be synced, but on google account there are no contacts except some I added a long time ago via email. I use/ed my hotmail adress as gmail account. Recently, google created gmail acc for me, but I can still use my hotmail acc to sign in, even though it transfers my to that gmail acc. Anyway, tl; dr I cannot sync my contacts. I can't export them to CSV, I added all these accounts on my phone and still nothing :S

Second thing I want to ask is, where do I find alarm on WP? I just can't find it :S

Viber and WhatsApp do not work properly, right? I mean, Viber doesn't work in the background, and WA said something about latest update and not working properly on it.

I probably have many more things to ask, but my head hurts because of that hussle with contacts. I have entered my email adress and password for at least 20 times today, I just take it anymore :)
Overall, for now, I am satisfied with my phone and with WP8, even though there are some things I dislike, but I don't have enough energy to talk about them. I miss swype so much, as it doesn't work on my language. Heck, my language (Bosnian) isn't even officially supported, but there is no swype on croatian which I use as a replacement for Bosnian. I will give this phone and OS a fair chance, as I really want to use it.

Hi congrats on your Lumia 925. So here are the solutions for your problems.
1- Use Transfer My Data app to sync your contacts form your android phone

2- Swipe from left to right from start screen and the first thing you'll find in 'a' section is Alarms. If not,tap an alphabet and then tap a. You'll find it.

3- Both Viber and Whatsapp work properly in the background if you have enabled them through the BATTERY SAVER APP. Basically when you download an app it is automatically assigned to work in the background but to change it go to the apps section and you'll find BATTERY SAVER. Touch there and find viber or WhatsApp or any app you want. Touch again and make sure that you have enabled ALLOW THE APP TO RUN IN BACKGROUND. Only then it will work.

4- Lastly the warning Whatsapp gives about incompatibility is nothing. It justs tells you that the app is not updated for windows phone 8.1. You will not be facing any problems with it so relax!

There is Swype actually but I am not sure whether it's supported by the language you want
. But then again I hope you like it. Feel free to ask more....!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes