Will the current flagship phones get the next version (Threshold?)

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

I am wanting to come back to Windows Phone, but I don't want the same thing that happened to me when Windows 8 came out.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
there've been reams written about this ...
switching from WinPhone 7 to 8 involved a different core OS, thus phones could NOT upgrade. There appears to be NO such issue with the current core OS.

If you want the best chance of being able to upgrade to threshold, I'd purchase a flagship device. The Lumia 1520, 930, ICON qualify, as well as the HTC One M8 (for Windows). Any newer phones (w 1gb of RAM or better) would certainly be a safer bet to get the upgrade. This does NOT mean that the older flagship devices (Lumia 920, 925, 928) will not be able to upgrade, simply that the newest SOCs would be the safest bet.

My personal opinion is, MS would kill Windows Phone if devices were NOT able to upgrade to Threshold / WinPhone 9 (or whatever they call it) - the backlash would wipe out any generated consumer support.

BTW - Welcome back, don't know what you're rocking now, but there's gotta be a reason ...

Last edited:

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I asked the OP question, and just remembered my login info. Anyway, I am considering the Lumia 1520. My contract is up and I really like that large screen, want the Pure View camera, and I honestly think WP is better at handling music and podcasts. I currently have a Galaxy S 3 and I like the phone, it's okay, but it's aging and not charging as well as it once did, etc.

The only thing that will be hard for in coming back is Google. I use Google apps extensively.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I asked the OP question, and just remembered my login info. Anyway, I am considering the Lumia 1520. My contract is up and I really like that large screen, want the Pure View camera, and I honestly think WP is better at handling music and podcasts. I currently have a Galaxy S 3 and I like the phone, it's okay, but it's aging and not charging as well as it once did, etc.

The only thing that will be hard for in coming back is Google. I use Google apps extensively.

1520 is still a very good phone. Denim's new features are available for the 1520 and perhaps even the next firmware will still have features in store for it.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
One more question.... Someone told me that the 1520 has an issues with having white splotches on the screen that distort the image when you touch the back of the phone?

ams963

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I think MS will let all 8 and 8.1 phones to WP 9. Otherwise they will lose the faith of substantial number of WP users from them. I believe MS wouldn't risk it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think MS will let all 8 and 8.1 phones to WP 9. Otherwise they will lose the faith of substantial number of WP users from them. I believe MS wouldn't risk it.

Yea, assuming carriers dont interfere, they'll probably continue with 9. I expect slower rollouts as there's more models to handle, instead of axing models.

rzkwp8

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
If you want the best chance of being able to upgrade to threshold, I'd purchase a flagship device. The Lumia 1520, 930, ICON qualify, as well as the HTC One M8 (for Windows). Any newer phones (w 1mb of RAM or better) would certainly be a safer bet to get the upgrade. This does NOT mean that the older flagship devices (Lumia 920, 925, 928) will not be able to upgrade, simply that the newest SOCs would be the safest bet.
[/I]

1 MB of RAM... Windows Phone 9 should be incredible then, if it runs on 1 MB RAM devices xD. jk

DropPass

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
So if they are not releasing Windows 10 until "Late in 2015" and Windows 10 will also be the next OS for Windows Phone, what should we expect to see happen as far as devices are concerned between now and then? Especially flagship devices. Many people theorize that MS will not release a new flagship phone until the next "compatible with all devices" OS is available. Late next year is a LONG time to wait for a new flagship!

Brad Lambert

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
There will definitely be a new device running Windows 8.1.2 or .3 with a Lumia firmware, and that device will be upgradable to Windows Phone 10. I think.

That's what I've been thinking too. After they let the HTC One M8 (Windows) play the role of flagship for awhile they are going to announce a new Lumia flagship. I hope that they unify the device by killing any carrier exclusivity, like how things are now with the 1520, 930, and Icon all leading the pack. Since they have taken the hardware division and are going to be doing things in-house I think a Lumia that is Windows 10-ready with a Microsoft logo on it somewhere seems to be the next step...

When they announce the next flagship I wouldn't be surprised if they preview a portion of early Windows 10 on mobile devices. That would stir the news up for sure, and having the device out prior to Windows 10 will build excitement and raise OS adoption rates.

An exciting time for Microsoft, indeed. So psyched.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel