Am I doing something wrong? Lumia 920

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi...
I have a new Lumia 920 and I've really been enjoying it. My one issue is that when I'm away from home (in the car, for instance) I cannot get online. If I try to look something up I get "having trouble getting data" type message. Never an issue at home because it's getting on my wifi connection. Do I need to set something up? I thought I would get data from my TMobile service.
Can you help? Thanks!
Jennifer Saks

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi...
I have a new Lumia 920 and I've really been enjoying it. My one issue is that when I'm away from home (in the car, for instance) I cannot get online. If I try to look something up I get "having trouble getting data" type message. Never an issue at home because it's getting on my wifi connection. Do I need to set something up? I thought I would get data from my TMobile service.
Can you help? Thanks!
Jennifer Saks

The access to data when away from Wi fi should be seamless as you would guess. Do you live in an area with bad signal/coverage? Do you notice a drop in signal before getting into the car? I would have a look at the network connection settings. You definitely shouldn't have to update or alter anything manually once out of wi fi range- to my knowledge. I have had that message before but only temporarily- it typically resolves itself within minutes or less. You could try toggeling flight mode on and off to prompt a network search, but that shouldn't be something you should have to do each time... You don't mention if you use a car handsfree/Bluetooth kit so it might me related to that- I can't help you there as I don't use one though sorry! Hopefully there might be more help out there- sounds peculiar!

Jennifer Saks

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Nick. I'll try that. I am using my VW's bluetooth, but I've noticed this problem other places too...restaurants, stores, etc. Maybe TMobile needs to get more cell towers! I'm in Portland, Oregon, so it's not like I'm out in the boonies. But I'll keep trying.
Thanks again!
Jennifer

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings -> mobile+SIM and check that Data connection is turned On.

Yup. Check these setting Jennifer. If this is indeed happening in other locations(outside of WiFi range)ALL the time then your cellular data is likely to be off.

Occasionally though, I've had this drop in service happen to me when I've been away from WiFi, no signal, no data nothing ,only to discover when back on WiFi hours later that the network is down... This happened recently on EE in the UK (the biggest network in the UK) for over 24hrs and as you can imagine was a massive pain for millions... you can't search for a solution/check twitter for outage reports for example when off line.. so sometimes that does happen.

I'm not aware that the Data Connection is something that can turn 'itself' off during normal operation without moving that toggle but you never know- its easy to accidentally flick something when swiping between screens!

If Data is ON then.. try a soft reset and check again before further trouble shooting. Let me know if you fix it!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans