Bing/MSN/ MSNBC/Microsoft for dummies!

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Can someone please explain this whole Bing /MSN thing to me? I thought MSN was an old outdated news site. What's exactly is the point of Microsoft having both Bing.com and MSN.com? Isn't Bing news and MSN news different? How exactly is Microsoft rebranding Bing news as MSN news if they're different? What is Microsoft's current connection worth MSNBC and how does all of this tie together? I understand Microsoft is suppose to be doing these changes to streamline things but it seems like the opposite. If these sites are the same (Bing and MSN) why not get rid of one and forward it to the other?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Looks like consolidation to me. Bing and MSN under the same umbrella. MSNBC was a collaboration between MS and NBC.com. That contract, I think I read is not being renewed. It is going away but the name MSNBC remains for now.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My main concern with changing back to the MSN name yet again is that it might not appeal to younger users. MSN originated in 1995. MSN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Younger people might consider MSN to be something old-fashioned from the 90s, like AOL, and outdated.
Good point. My guess is because its name is more "matured", they may be planning to enhance it to give it the appeal you're talking about and give make it part of the ecosystem with music and video with XBOX One. Maybe even finally establish its own video upload service. They certainly have been boasting storage for everyone lately. There has to be a reason for that beyond documents and spreadsheets. Especially if they can figure out how to monitize it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720