My big mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

So I need help. I'll try to keep this short, but no promises :)

Some of you may remember me around the forums, up until about 3-4 months ago. Having owned a WP since the Omnia 7, I've always loved Windows Phone. After my Omnia, I got a Lumia 920, and after that, a 1520.

Anyway, back in April, my phone was stolen whilst at soccer practice. After making an insurance claim, I was told that I wasn't eligible for a direct replacement, since the store I bought from had no more stock of the 1520. This kind of pushed me into a situation where I was given the choice of an iPhone 5S, Lumia 1020 or the Galaxy S4.

I never considered the S4, never have, never will. Android isn't for me.

However, having never owned an iPhone, I was curious. I went for the iPhone 5S to fulfill my curiosity and if I ever wanted to get a new phone, the iPhone 5S selling value would be a lot higher than that of a 1020 (it's over a year old now). I never had considered holding on to the 5S for long, since the hardware, to me, is inferior, and I loathe the tiny 4-inch screen (having come from a 1520).

So that brings me to today - I've just watched the iPhone keynote. Uninspiring, and down in Australia, the 6+ (the phone i'd go for) costs over a thousand dollars for a measly 16GB of storage.

This is where things get interesting - I am considering the jump back to Windows Phone.

I love the Lumia 930 hardware, its amazing camera that I miss so dearly, but there's a few things holding me back.

-I have a Pebble watch, and I find it pretty useful. From what i've read, Pebble is still unsupported on WP, meaning I would probably have to sell the watch, or it be useless until Pebble support arrives (of which there is no confirmed date)
-Hardware defects/software glitches on the Lumia 930 - is this an issue? I remember my 1520 being plagued with issues, such as funny discolouration with Glance, or the notorious touch screen sensitivity.
-Spotify - I am a premium subscriber of Spotify, and use the Spotify app for iPhone every day. In what state is the Spotify app on WP at the moment? I remember it being a little outdated and clunky in comparison.

Regardless, I need your help.

At this current point in time, can you WPCentraler's recommend a switch back to WP for a once enthusiast for the platform?

Thanks in advance for any help with this :)

​Chris

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Myself personally I'm not impressed enough with the L930 to want one but I don't knock anyone from wanting to get one.

First, WP now supports wearable technologies. There are no official apps for Pebble but hopefully one day there will be. For the time being there is third party ones. This appears to be the best but has limitations.

Pebble Watch Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

As with all Nokia WP there always seems to be some issue or another. There is a L930 forum and a thread with 'bugs and defects'. L930 doesn't have glance or double tap to wake features available.

Nokia Lumia 930 unboxing and hands on! | Windows Phone Central

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/286203-nokia-lumia-930-bugs-defects.html

Spotify recently got a great update on WP so it's significantly better.

Spotify update brings free music streaming to Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

Things to keep in mind at this time. WP8 has been updated to WP8.1 and there is update 1 and update 2 coming. Neither have been released and only update 1 is available on the developers preview program if you want to go down that route.

If you like WP then get a WP. WP seems to be getting better. Has some way to go still.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Myself personally I'm not impressed enough with the L930 to want one but I don't knock anyone from wanting to get one.

First, WP now supports wearable technologies. There are no official apps for Pebble but hopefully one day there will be. For the time being there is third party ones. This appears to be the best but has limitations.

Pebble Watch Pro | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

As with all Nokia WP there always seems to be some issue or another. There is a L930 forum and a thread with 'bugs and defects'. L930 doesn't have glance or double tap to wake features available.

Nokia Lumia 930 unboxing and hands on! | Windows Phone Central

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/286203-nokia-lumia-930-bugs-defects.html

Spotify recently got a great update on WP so it's significantly better.

Spotify update brings free music streaming to Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

Things to keep in mind at this time. WP8 has been updated to WP8.1 and there is update 1 and update 2 coming. Neither have been released and only update 1 is available on the developers preview program if you want to go down that route.

If you like WP then get a WP. WP seems to be getting better. Has some way to go still.

Thanks a lot for your help with this! It turns out, i've returned to WP. They've started to stock Green Lumia 930's in Australia, and I bought one yesterday. I will be making a "i'm back" post shortly :)

i'm really glad to come back to contribute to WPC again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb