What Lumia to buy now? 9/2014

W

WPCentral Question

Hi all,

I have a question I was hoping to get answered here. My nexus 4 broke and I'm looking for a new phone. I was interested in the Lumia 635 since it's a brand new model and seems to be in the price range I was looking for. I like the windows phone style and cortana. However, it's missing a few things I think of as essential: A front facing camera for occasional skype/video chat with the kids, a flash (I use the flashlight from time to time on my smartphone). But the next Lumia step up seems very significant in price.

The number scheme Nokia is using is rather confusing. There are 900s that are older than 800s. And an 830 that hasn't been released yet. There are 1500s that are cheaper than 900s...I'm guessing the tens place in their numbering scheme is the generation? But I can't quite figure out the rest.

Anyway. I'm looking for a 3rd gen windows 8.1 phone/lumia in the $200 range that has the above features. Is there one? I'm comparing it to the newly released update to the Moto G (the moto g+1 or g2 whatever it's called.) The moto g2 is $179, has HSPA (not LTE like the 635) but does have the flash, a front camera, +front speakers. Is there a lumia that can rival this at this price point and works on a GSM (att/tmobile network?)

Thanks so much!

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
don't get confused.
these number series are defining the level / category of phones and not their generations.
like 5xx is basic entry level phones, 6xx are next level, while 9xx are generally prime and flagships. further, 1020 is a camera phone with 41 MPix camera, while 1320 and 1520 are phablets.
now, speaking of phone suitable to ur needs, if possible to wait, u will get 730 in that budget by this month end (depending on ur location. in India, dates are last week of October). if u need LTE, u can go for 735, with a small higher price.
guessing by the 710 and 720 (predecessors in 7xx series) these are performance phones for professionals and shall be best choice for overall use. u can check out the specifications as the phones are already launched on 4th Sept.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't know exactly how much phones cost on your location, but I suggest you get the newer, high end ones. If your budget isn't enough, work on increasing it. You're going to get a new phone anyway, why not go for the best one available? Go with the 930 or 1520. Concerning hardware, they're probably the best one available for the Lumia line. A good reason to get them is because in the long run, you will benefit from its stronger hardware. Better hardware will support more features than lower ones.

Personal experience: when I was planning to upgrade from WP7, I was planning to get the 920 since it's a decent (if not, then amazing) phone running WP8 which can be upgraded to WP8.1. But I decided to go for the 1520 instead. The difference in price was great, yes. But the difference in hardware makes up for it. You wouldn't want to get left behind because of your phone's hardware limitations, right? Also, the features announced in Denim are more favorable to 930 and 1520 users.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
that's funny u know.
budget is $200, and u r asking to work it out to something between $400 to $ 600.

anyways, it was not always about money. i mean, i generally use a phone budgeting around $ 200, not because i cannot afford, but i am a rough handler, and i have broke my two last Lumias by drooping and cracked the glass (ya, that's gorilla glass).
thus, generally changing a phone a year, i find that budget is more suitable for my needs as i do not find time for videos and games.
anyway, Denim update is coming to all the new phones along with a few older. thus, my suggestion shall be same, go for 730 or 735. that is around the budget and fulfill all your needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans