Looking at other OS...Talk me off the ledge!

HALLCsft

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Lord help me, I am looking more and more at the iPhone 6 Plus. Here is my problem:
iOS: I absolutely hate the desktop look, static display of stupid little tiles, even on Android (at least themes are easier to come by on Android). But, they have the apps. Yes, its that old argument. But hear me out.

I have NEVER owned I-anything, ever. I have had one Android phone and tablet in the past. I went from Blackberry to Android to WP8 on day 1!. I have had the Lumia 920, 1020 and now the 1520. LOVE them, all of them. Here's the issue; I need apps to do things! I own a store, we recently installed 8 camera DVR system. In order to get to view the feed on WP I had to buy a wireless router, configure port forwarding (its Time Warner Cable Business Class) which is still not connecting (not WP issue of course, but part of this problem overall) and use the camera mfr "lite" version of their iOS/Android App. If I had iOS/Android, I would download their app, scan the QR code on the DVR...done! It connects (peer-topeer like I think), that's it! Why is it so F*^#ing hard to get this done on WP?

Here's why, we only represent maybe 4% of the market! I have a point of sale system (micros) they have a new mTablet solution using Windows 8 tablets, awesome. Their video even shows a guy pulling out his WINDOWS Phone to get a tweet from a local shop engaging in pushing out a deal. The problem? They have NO WP APP! If I want to log in to check sales, labor cost, forecast, etc. I need to go to the PC to log in (cannot use Modern IE, thanks Java!) so I need to use desktop IE, or Firefox/Chrome. OOOOR just download the iOS/Android Micros App! Done!

With MS pushing a lot of their services to other platforms, why not go there? None of my employees or partners that are on other OS have ANY problems! Even our payroll service provider says, just use the mobile version of our website. At least I have that, but other OS have a dedicated App that actually WORKS! I have other examples of course. Don't get me wrong, I have the bank aps, FB, Netflix, Twitter, etc. Great. Where is SAP, where are the major business players? I'm talking engineering, industrial apps, small business management services, etc. Even ordering supplies from Granger for goodness sakes is easier on other platforms.

So its a catch 22; its the kid that wants to buy a car but can't because he doesn't have a job. He cant get a good job because he doesn't have reliable transportation (a WP user). So instead, he has to bum rides from his weird Uncle (Indie devs; sorry guys) until he can afford a ride of his own. The Indy devs are great, but how many more photo editing apps do we need? I need enterprise-level apps for business and services. C'mon, Apple Pay?! WTH, so now all those iPhiles can use that but I STILL cannot? I had that wallet for how many years?

I am tired of being 3rd chair! PLEASE, somebody talk me off the edge, because I don't see what I loose other than UI (aesthetics). I can still use my Surface Pro 3/Desktop running latest Windows, still sync ALL stuff to my OneDrive, use ANY mobile OS now for that, have Office, Outlook/Scheduling, Skype, Groups for sharing/messaging, etc. Of course I LOVE the way MS did this stuff on WP, but if no one else I know is using this, what does it matter?

HELP! Is there hope on the horizon? or is WP terminally doomed to be this great experiment of what could have been? I know its not MS fault that apps aren't being developed (the ones I need), but can you blame them? Why expend that kind of energy to net only 4% of mobile users, and only a fraction of those might use your app? I welcome your feedback, so long as its civil, don't go easy on me, but be valid. I do NOT want to leave WP, but it is getting harder and harder to do my job with it.

Last edited:

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing a lot of us stick with WP because of other reasons, none of which I believe involve running a business. When sticking with WP hurts your business productivity then its time to switch. Always do what makes the most sense (and cents) for your business. After reading this. It makes no sense for me to talk you off a ledge. Before you switch make sure you choose the right OS. Android is great but also malware ridden, so that might pose another problem later on. iOS might be better for security/stability reasons. When WP finally gets all these apps you need then come on back, so we don't have to come looking for you. :)

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I would go back to android- you can get all the apps plus features you are used to with WP such as wireless charging and voice to text and a sd card slot. You would give up the least going to android as opposed to Apple.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I would agree. You don't need to be talked off the ledge, you need to be pushed. ;)

You're running a business. As such, many things need your loyalty. Your phone OS is not one of them.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I love windows phone, I really didn't know what I was missing until I switched. There are two things that iOS does better than windows phone and it has to do with the ecosystem.
1. Quantity of Apps
2. Quality of Apps

If you want to go a step further.
3. The ecosystem
A. Hardware (in car, stereo systems etc)
B. Passport with NFC has major supporters. Like visa, MasterCard and Amex.

The same apps like twitter, Instagram and Facebook are much better on iOS.

For business, this was the number one reason why I switched: I needed apps for my business that were not available on windows phone.

I would never get android, it is a personal preference as I had bad experiences with android in 2009 and 2013.

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd make the switch especially if it hurts your business, plus oh the bright side you can still use pretty much all the Microsoft services you want on Android and you can also download a nice WP launcher so you keep the look too

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the above poster. If we have to make concessions to use WP for personal use, that's one thing. But I don't think in your case it's justified because you're unnecessarily hampering your phone's usefulness in your business. The iPhone 6+ will be a wonderful device. I would recommend getting it, or a top end Android, whichever you prefer. Keep an eye on WP, and when it will fulfill your needs, come back.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
So its a catch 22; its the kid that wants to buy a car but can't because he doesn't have a job. He cant get a good job because he doesn't have reliable transportation (a WP user). So instead, he has to bum rides from his weird Uncle (Indie devs; sorry guys) until he can afford a ride of his own. The Indy devs are great, but how many more photo editing apps do we need? I need enterprise-level apps for business and services. C'mon, Apple Pay?! WTH, so now all those iPhiles can use that but I STILL cannot? I had that wallet for how many years?

I actually laughed at that.

So here's a solution to your problem. Get an android tablet, if you need a cellular service just active Internet Sharing from your WP device. You get all the lovely (and ****ty) android apps without breaking the bank on phone bills. At least you won't be felt left out, there's no hiding that WP is walking a thin line, but I don't see it doomed either, it has a fanbase that's dedicated to the platform and honestly if the Universal App idea goes into fruition with WP9 and W9 I can bet your dollars that it'll have a higher developer count, since developers wouldn't need to debug and debug and debug with every single Android device out there.

Developing for WP is easy if not easier than Android anyone who knows how to make algorithms (just be good in math basically) can program for WP they're free online courses that Microsoft sponsors with Channel 9 and Microsoft Virtual Academy.

Also a question for you, what kind of store do you have?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
As others have stated, there's nothing wrong with giving apple a try since you are running a business. I actually love their ecosystem, but my needs are suited for something different

R2guy

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Since a few have suggested getting a cheap tablet, why not a cheap full windows tablet that you could view on chrome or ie in desktop mode like the dell venue 8 or the Toshiba encore mini

Otherwise I would go with a new iPhone. They have a higher resell value than Android. Windows phones will still be here. Its not like you couldn't sell the iPhone later and pick up the new Lumia (win 9?) flagship when it ever gets released.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro