View Poll Results: Should I stick to Windows Phone?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep! The ecosystem will get better soon :)

38 90.48%
  • No way! WP is DOOOOMED trololol 420 blaze it yo

4 9.52%
12-21-2014 06:24 PM
73 123
tools
    I'll suggest you to wait till Windows Phone 9 comes..!!
    Because Windows Phone 9 will be like do or die situation for Microsoft..
    and i believe that Microsoft is gonna nail it with Windows Phone 9.. (and Windows 9 as well)..
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-13-2014 01:26 AM
    If you don't like that phone, why would you buy it? You are the one suffering not them if things doesn't work out for you.
    Use what you like.
    09-13-2014 01:38 AM
    I'm beginning to lose faith with WP due to the app situation.

Over the past months or even year or so, I've looked into getting various apps and wearables on WP which are already well supported on other platforms and I've just come up against a brick wall.

My latest efforts have been looking for a cycling app that supports Garmin Connect but there is nothing. The Garmin forum has a thread with hundreds of replies and thousands of views but not a single word from Garmin. There is a third party app but it seems the developer charges quite a bit to unlock features. I can't really blame him for doing so. He has seen a clear gap in the market and wants to exploit it. Unfortunately for them, myself and many others do not want to be exploited...especially when there is are free options for Android and iOS.

Runtastic and Sports Tracker apps and support are miles behind other platforms.

I'm still waiting for my bank to release a WP app. They have apparently been working on one for about 2 years but each time I request an update, they are unable to help me.

The weird thing is, I didn't think the app situation would bother me very much when I got my first WP (920), but since then it has become a very annoying problem. How are we supposed to believe we have modern smartphones when developers don't seem to want to touch the platform. The market share is growing in some places but interest from official developers seem as static as always. Every now and then an announcement is made about an official WP app which is great but it's too little, too late. I've lost count of the number of companies I've emailed to enquire about a WP app only to be told that they have no plans to do so.

It's really sad.

My contract runs out in February and at present I'm telling myself to purchase a DSLR to replace the 1020 and jump ship to Android. I'm aware I wouldn't be able to take a DSLR all the places I go with my phone but at least I'd have a 'smartphone' with me with all the apps and services that I want.

I'm not holding out much hope for improvements over the coming months.
    Last edited by Nick_1020; 09-13-2014 at 08:40 AM.
    09-13-2014 03:33 AM
    Xperia Z2 has poor screens in that class
    Perhaps you should check the Z3 ;) Also, for what it's worth, the screen on the Z1 Compact is much brighter and with more vivid colours than the 930. Though in the end, that ends up to personal preferences.

I won't tell you what to do, obviously, but I can tell you what I'm doing: going Android.
    Windows Phone 8.1 is a really cool OS and I'm not that fond of having to leave it. But Nokia is gone and Microsoft's support is beyond appalling outside the US. It took them over 1 month to replace my 930.
    I could switch to another OEM but the problem is, there is no other OEM whose hardware and support I trust. Sure, a ton of OEMs joined Windows Phone. But those are all small OEMs with no support channels and no quality proof given.
    So those are out.
    The only OEM with quality proof given is HTC, but unfortunately HTC decided to put the worst camera in the high end market.
    As Sony and LG keep outside the Windows Phone market and the M8 is out, I'm left with no option but to move to Android.

I simply refuse to stick with Microsoft. 1 - I will never ever buy a Microsoft Mobile phone; 2 - even though I still have my real Nokias, Microsoft's support is horrible. And Microsoft's commitment to WP is also very very questionable. And I'm sick of giving them second chances.
    09-13-2014 09:20 AM
    xperia phones have the self cracking issue on their z-series
    the screen cracks randomly even without a force
    same issue with ps vita
    otherwise lovely phones,buy warranty extensions though just in case
    09-15-2014 02:22 PM
    If you don't like that phone, why would you buy it? You are the one suffering not them if things doesn't work out for you.
    Use what you like.
    I LOVE the phone. And I mad up my mind. I'm staying :)
    a5cent likes this.
    09-16-2014 11:02 AM
    Currently eyeing up the Z3!
    09-16-2014 05:48 PM
    Anyone here have any experience of the Z3 please?

Any pros/cons to be aware of?
    09-17-2014 04:01 PM
    Anyone here have any experience of the Z3 please?

Any pros/cons to be aware of?
    The Z3 hasn't been released yet, but I pre-ordered the Z3 Compact and Clove UK is shipping it next Monday.
    So once I have it, I'll be able to tell you something more specific.

The one thing that I can tell you in advance about a con is related to Android itself. On 4.4 Google removed the saving and moving of apps and games to the SD card. The Z3 only has 16GB of storage (12GB available). While it has a microSD card, you can't put apps in it unless you root the device and go around that.
    On Android L Google is expected to correct that situation. Sony has also brought that feature back on the T2. It's not clear if the feature was put on the Z3 series too or not. We'll have to wait and see.

Also, you may want to get a microUSB to magnetic charger adapter. It's a cheap device that turns the microUSB cable into a magnetic cable for you to charge the phone. It will spare you the nuisance of having to open the water-protection flaps of the phone to charge it every time you need to do so. Unfortunately Sony still hasn't built Qi into the phones (there's a Qi charging cover expected for the Z3 though)
    Nick_1020 likes this.
    09-17-2014 07:42 PM
    I have a soft spot with Sony product as well but if an android phone that could lure it must be Sammy Note Edge 4. Love at first sight u might say..
    09-17-2014 08:06 PM
    I just bought the one plus one and my icon, and personally I'm going to keep both phones to get the best of both worlds
    And lets be real, Microsoft has been letting down WP recently 😢
    09-17-2014 08:24 PM
    The Z3 hasn't been released yet, but I pre-ordered the Z3 Compact and Clove UK is shipping it next Monday.
    So once I have it, I'll be able to tell you something more specific.

The one thing that I can tell you in advance about a con is related to Android itself. On 4.4 Google removed the saving and moving of apps and games to the SD card. The Z3 only has 16GB of storage (12GB available). While it has a microSD card, you can't put apps in it unless you root the device and go around that.
    On Android L Google is expected to correct that situation. Sony has also brought that feature back on the T2. It's not clear if the feature was put on the Z3 series too or not. We'll have to wait and see.

Also, you may want to get a microUSB to magnetic charger adapter. It's a cheap device that turns the microUSB cable into a magnetic cable for you to charge the phone. It will spare you the nuisance of having to open the water-protection flaps of the phone to charge it every time you need to do so. Unfortunately Sony still hasn't built Qi into the phones (there's a Qi charging cover expected for the Z3 though)
    Thanks for the helpful reply.

I have a few months left and I really hope some third party developers start to embrace WP8.x in that time but I have started to make contingency (been wanting to use that word since the recession started!!) plans. My Garmin Edge 510 should be ready for collection tomorrow. Currently only compatible with iOS and Android official apps. Cycling has become a huge part of my life and I want a device that is compatible with the activities I'm doing and at the moment, WP falls way short of that.

Really hoping it changes though as I love WP OS!
    09-23-2014 07:10 PM
    This is exactly why I switched to WP. But it's that darn Resuming screen that's ticking me off
    11-17-2014 07:45 AM
    You are kind of right, but my main issue is that the some SNS apps like Twitter and Tumblr, and mainly most 1st party apps are complete booty >:(
    11-17-2014 07:48 AM
    Windows phone haven't completed yet, Microsoft still develop it and they try to improve it, actually Windows phone don't have much apps but, you have the important apps like Facebook, twitter...etc, in other hand Windows phone is very fast and don't have many issues, by the time Windows phone will have many apps and there where no problem I have Lumia 630 Ahmad it works excellent that iam righted this comment by swipe keyboard that is so smart and fast so, at the end that my opinion about Windows phone so, don't switch to Android maybe switch to ios because Android is rubbish not like Windows phone and ios, and wait Windows 10 update maybe it make you don't switch to any is.😃
    11-17-2014 08:26 AM
    Yes, Facebook, twitter, etc... are all present, but my point is that, they are nowhere near as good as their Android or iOS counterparts...
    I love Windows Phone, and the range of Apps they have doesn't concern me, but the quality does...
    11-17-2014 08:41 AM
    I am apart of the dualos crowd as well. I have an iPad mini so the needs I don't find in my phone, I have in my tabletbut aside from battery, most of my needs are met. - native xbox music allows me to download music by artist and not by creating this monster playlist- word flow is brilliant along with how the prediction will help predict your sentence without you barely having to type - although they took away some features, I'm still able to see family and friends social media updates at a glance - the apps I need are there in the ecosystem, but maybe not for you-cortana has been a great feature and the unobtrusive way they've implemented the notification center still let's me to not be overwhelmed like I would be on iOS (all those red notification numbers) and androidi could go on but I know I'm sticking with windows. Hardware was just a matter of an issue
    To add to this, I have bought a Desire 610 and will stick with it for awhile until I find some hardware from Microsoft that I will truly enjoy. My 1020 was slugging along with the dual core processor so I couldn't deal with it anymore. I do have my 520 if I do want to try some things still with WP.
    12-21-2014 04:13 PM
    Well, actually Win10 is next... they skipped 9...
    12-21-2014 04:44 PM
    To add to this, I have bought a Desire 610 and will stick with it for awhile until I find some hardware from Microsoft that I will truly enjoy.
    Interesting choice! I'm curious what made you choose this phone. It roughly compares to the Moto G, doesn't it?
    12-21-2014 05:33 PM
    Interesting choice! I'm curious what made you choose this phone. It roughly compares to the Moto G, doesn't it?
    Was shopping and was getting tired of my 1020. At target they had it for 180.00 and it had decent specs so didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on something temporary. No at&t Moto g are in stores on the shelves. Just the cdma prepaid ones
    tgp likes this.
    12-21-2014 05:36 PM
    No at&t Moto g are in stores on the shelves. Just the cdma prepaid ones
    Yeah that's a problem here in the US. Moto Gs are easy to find, and cheap, if you want a Verizon or Boost model. I've never seen an unlocked GSM version on the shelf. Is the Desire unlocked?
    12-21-2014 05:41 PM
    Yeah that's a problem here in the US. Moto Gs are easy to find, and cheap, if you want a Verizon or Boost model. I've never seen an unlocked GSM version on the shelf. Is the Desire unlocked?
    12-21-2014 05:41 PM
    stick with windows, I will be returning to windows when the 10 phones come out
    12-21-2014 06:24 PM
73 123