Am I missing something about wireless charging?

shann123

May 21, 2014
Visit site
So I just ordered an Icon and it shows up tomorrow. I'm not planning on getting a wireless charging pad because I really can't see the point, but maybe I'm missing something. Here's how I view wireless charging:
- It still needs to be plugged in, so I am just as limited as to where I charge my phone.
- For heavy phone use on an already low battery I plug in my cable and hold the phone to use it. Is this possible/practical with a wireless pad? It seems like it'd be a pain to keep everything lined up and talk on the phone or use the screen.
- I've seen comments (but have not investigated further) that's it's slow compared to using the charging port.
- My phone is coming with a cord to charge, the wireless charging pad costs more money.

So is there a benefit to wireless charging that I am missing? Besides the 'gee whiz' factor?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There's no real benefit having wireless charging. It's really just a 'nice to have'. It's handy if your phone needs charging and you receive a call and can answer it without having the cord attached. Of course it needs to have some charge in it to do that.

Other than that, your assessment is correct.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a cord to charge at home I have the wireless charger here, I find it very convient and it doesn't take up a ton of space. and I don't have to worry OMG it is Friday and I left the office without the wire for charging over the weekend.. It will not over charge your phone it shuts off when it is done. I have the 1020 and ordered the charging back for it and if I have to for a new phone down the line it is money well spent

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a cord to charge at home I have the wireless charger here, I find it very convient and it doesn't take up a ton of space. and I don't have to worry OMG it is Friday and I left the office without the wire for charging over the weekend.. It will not over charge your phone it shuts off when it is done. I have the 1020 and ordered the charging back for it and if I have to for a new phone down the line it is money well spent

There's no such thing as over charging your phone. But I understand the convenience factor.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging is not meant to replace your wire. It's meant to assist you in using the wire less often.

Many use the wireless charger at their bedside, which is OK. However, the best use (IMHO) is at a workspace where you spend significant amounts of time. I prefer one that has the device sitting more upright, not fully reclined...

You are working on your computer and you plonk the phone down on the wireless charger. It starts charging and you start working. Something comes up. An alert, an alarm, you need to look something up on the device. It's at a comfortable viewing angle. Do what you need to without interrupting the charge and then go back to work. If you need to pick the phone up, pick it up; walk around, pace, leave for a minute and get a snack - whatever. Just plonk 'er back down again to charge.

It keeps you charging and/or topping up at times when you aren't using the phone anyway. It also keeps the device handy to use. Better than in your pocket and if you get a charger that doubles as a stand, you don't always have to disrupt the charging to use the phone.

Now you are less often "hitting the cord" and being held to one area by it. Used properly, it frees you from ever needing to be plugged in except at night, or in the car for nav.

I learned this (and got spoiled by it) from using a Palm TouchStone.

Here's the Qi charger I have for my 1520.3:

$_57.JPG

Stick on Hemispheric Shape Mobile Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad w USB Cable | eBay

Good grip, good display angle, good charge even through my TPU case... Note that it requires a charger head. I use a generic 2A as the Input states 1.8A.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have two charging plates, one at my desk at work and one at my bedside. They make it very convenient to charge the phone. Especially at work where my phone is connected to a bluetooth speaker most of the day, it is charging just beside my mousepad while the speaker is on a shelf behind me.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a battery powered charging pad that sits on the bedside and I use it anytime I'm in the bedroom. It's awesome. When I'm not using it I just drop it on the pad, so it stays charged. In my car I actually made a wireless charger with a cup holder cradle and a USB charging pad. That's very convenient. I get in the car and drop it in the cradle and it starts charging.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use wireless charging.

My take on it is that it is cool and convenient.
Convenient in that it doesnt require lining up and plugging in a phone, you can keep the pad's wire tucked away, you can drop the phone on and pick it up at your discretion.

However, I still do charge the conventional way when:
I need a fast charge.
I'm doing stuff like playing a game.
I'm on the go.

Wireless charging does produce heat, and wired does use the microUSB port.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just bought the Qi back for my 925.
I'll use it on the nightstand for convenience since that's were I mostly charge the phone.

I would say the mobile charging packs I have are a much more useful lifesaving accessory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss