Headphones?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I currently have a pair of Kickers that I absolutely love, that I can use at home. But my ear buds for day to day use broke, and now I'm stuck with these pathetic Apple headphones.
Additionally, the Kickers volume rocker doesn't do anything with Windows Phones it just pauses the song. I'd really like a pair of ear buds with microphone and volume control with good sound quality. Problem is...I can't put anything in my ear. I have to use ear buds like the Apple headphones, I just don't want Apple. Can anyone help me out?
A good pair of headphone with controls that work on Windows Phones. No Bluetooth that's extra money for something I wouldn't use microphone is fine.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like your looking for something like this:
Audio-Technica - Products - Headphones - Portable - ATH-CHX7iS

"Unique and innovative hybrid design nestles in the ear without going inside the ear canal; made for those who love the portability, but don’t like the feeling of conventional in-ear headphones",

Audio Technica also have a decent range of over head phones which aren't going to break your bank balance.

Mobile Phone Headphones

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well you have two options 1) get a to cheap bluetooth stereo hands free with a 3.5m jack that way you can use any headphone you want Amazon.com: EasyAcc? Clip-On Bluetooth Stereo Headset / Headphone with 7 buttons and Microphone Hands Free for iPhone, Samsung and all Android Bluetooth Devices - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

2) Get something to similar to these, meaning anything certified for Lumia's should definitely work. Amazon.com: Verizon 3.5mm Handsfree Stereo Headset Headphones Dual Earbuds + Carrying Case for Nokia Lumia 928, Lumia 810, Lumia 920: Cell Phones & Accessories unfortunately most hands free kits are now in-ear only. So you may better off going into your local phone shop and checking out the accessory section.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anything that works with Android/BlackBerry should also work with Windows Phone. I have old BlackBerry headphones, Klipsch Image s4a headphones (Android model--the s4i are for iPhone), and Nokia wh-920 headphones.

Stay away from anything that says it's designed for iPhones. Headphones designed for iPhones typically are not compatible with any products not made by Apple.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I searched for this a long time. The problem is that the volume control does not work, not even from Android devices. The Klipsch s4a does not have volume control, like its Apple counterpart.

The volume control working or not is due to the different standards. There is a topic here explaining about the OMTP, AHJ and Apple difference.

I ended up going with a headset that has slider as a volume control. Slider adjusts the volume without adjusting it from the device. I bought two pretty expensive headsets, but I think they are worth it.

What kind of budget you were thinking about?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I searched for this a long time. The problem is that the volume control does not work, not even from Android devices. The Klipsch s4a does not have volume control, like its Apple counterpart.

The volume control working or not is due to the different standards. There is a topic here explaining about the OMTP, AHJ and Apple difference.

I ended up going with a headset that has slider as a volume control. Slider adjusts the volume without adjusting it from the device. I bought two pretty expensive headsets, but I think they are worth it.

What kind of budget you were thinking about?

There is a new model Klipsch R6m, which is compatible with all devices. Amazon.com: Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone: Electronics

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm, thanks for the link, but isnt it also single button? Thus no volume control... The single button operation (play, stop, skip) works with Android models, the problem comes from the volume control.

With that price the range, the selection also is pretty wide, first I got these: http://en-de.sennheiser.com/stereo-headset-volume-call-control-mm-70s

And then went crazy and got these: http://store.sony.com%2F2-driver-in...-XBA2VP%2Fcat-27-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds

The Sony's are amazing. I would have never thought I pay so much for headphones, but I wouldn't go back anymore.

You can find decently priced offers from eBay from time to time.

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Hmmmm, thanks for the link, but isnt it also single button? Thus no volume control... The single button operation (play, stop, skip) works with Android models, the problem comes from the volume control.

With that price the range, the selection also is pretty wide, first I got these: Sennheiser MM 70s - Stereo headset for Smartphones and tablets - Integrated volume control, Call control, in Ear acoustic design

And then went crazy and got these: http://store.sony.com%2F2-driver-in...-XBA2VP%2Fcat-27-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds

The Sony's are amazing. I would have never thought I pay so much for headphones, but I wouldn't go back anymore.

You can find decently priced offers from eBay from time to time.

I checked out the first pair, the Sennheiser. They are compatible with Windows devices, well at least with the last generation of Nokia Lumias. They didn't have any of the new devices in their list.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I checked out the first pair, the Sennheiser. They are compatible with Windows devices, well at least with the last generation of Nokia Lumias. They didn't have any of the new devices in their list.

The new devices are supported also. I bought many more headsets actually to test the remote's (like the KLIPSCH Android Image S4A II's and many others, sold them all later)

The play, pause, skip, answer call button does work from Android models, there is no problems. The problem is only with the volume buttons, but those models that I posted have a slider volume control. The slider does not actually control the device, so all functions work 100% with Windows Phones.

Here is a thread about the remote standards and whats that all about: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...87-note-headset-standards-omtp-ahj-apple.html

There are also adapters, that change the connector so the remote could work, but I havent tried one.

There are some variations in the Windows Phones and what their headphone jack standard is. I even remember that L920 (or maybe some other device) had dual configuration so that both standards work.

The basic old HTC headset: 3 5mm Stereo Earphones Headphones Handsfree Headset for HTC G3 G4 G5 G6 G7 G8 | eBay I think its that one, at least looks 100% the same. This should control the volume from the device. I had one of those and it controlled at least my Ativ S 100%. The problem for me was just that I was looking for little better sound quality.

The Sony's I would recommend 100% (the Sennheisers are great too, cant go wrong with that). I got the Sony's around 80usd and Senheisers 60usd (or something like that) new from eBay. Had to keep my eyes open for a sec though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo