Is the screen on the 1520 supposed to go black or stay on?

W

WPCentral Question

I recently bought a Lumia 1520 and I noticed that during a call the phone doesn't turn the screen off when its next to your head. Now I wanted to know if this is normal and supposed to happen?

sez who

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
it's supposed to turn off when during a phone call in order for buttons on screen to not be accidentally touched :)

and yes, 1520 is equipped with a proximity sensor so it should turn off during phone calls.
however, one case in which the screen does not go off is if you're having your call through the headphones, or so i've noticed on my 920. i guess it is "intended", considering that if you have your handsfree connected you will not get the device next to your ear :?

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
There's a proximity sensor next to the front camera (same row). It turns off not only to save battery IMO. But the main purpose is to prevent accidental interactions with the phone screen (accidental touches).

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
So its maybe due to the software? What's a way I can test my proximity sensor to see if it even works?

FIRST - take the case off & test it, that may be the cause.

Glance background works w prox sensor, lock your phone, wave over it & see if Glance screen comes on.
You could also have some dust or dirt over / inside the sensor.
On the Lumia 1520, it's hard to see the sensor, look to the right of the earpiece, ~~ 45 degrees above the 'A' in Nokia, you'll see an elliptical hole ... like a rotated (sideways) 0

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Try enabling (Double tap to wake). Its located under Touch in "settings".

Then lock your screen, and place your hand on the bottom side side of the phone (not blocking the proximity sensor). Then tap the middle of the phone with a finger twice. See if it lights up?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oils from your skin (everyone has them, I'm not making accusations!!!) get on the screen. The proximity sensor is at the top of the screen. Wipe it clean with a soft, dry cloth made for screens. If you have a stubborn screen (and 1520 screen seems not to repel oils when naked) you could breathe on the screen for a tiny bit of moisture before wiping, or use an alcohol prep pad and dry immediately after with that screen cloth.

It may just need to have the lens cover cleaned off to function normally.

tennisplayer23

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Wait I think i was doing it wrong before, cause my hand was touching the screen and it wouldn't turn on. But when I just cover the bottom of the screen without any part of my hand touching the screen, it still turns on when I double tap.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
it's supposed to turn off when during a phone call in order for buttons on screen to not be accidentally touched :)

and yes, 1520 is equipped with a proximity sensor so it should turn off during phone calls.
however, one case in which the screen does not go off is if you're having your call through the headphones, or so i've noticed on my 920. i guess it is "intended", considering that if you have your handsfree connected you will not get the device next to your ear :?
I've had mine "think" the headphones were still plugged in.. and therefore the screen didn't go off during a call.

Sometimes a quick reboot is needed to reset the proximity sensor.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Wait I think i was doing it wrong before, cause my hand was touching the screen and it wouldn't turn on. But when I just cover the bottom of the screen without any part of my hand touching the screen, it still turns on when I double tap.

If it turns on, that means your proximity sensor is not obstructed. Does it still turn off during a phone call when your hands are not blocking the sensor? If so, that is a software issue, you may consider hard resetting it or sending it to a Nokia Care centre.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05