Cyan for PFD?

peterc84

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Can WPC shed any light on the the PFD situation? It did champion it. Us people are getting left behind, and we are the "enthusiasts" who took it up! Badger ms.. Speak to them..doing something..the silence is deafening.

peterc84

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, what was the point of pfd if they were going to be left unable to do the thing they were doing were doing, wait for it, in installing PFD!!!..upgrading!!, surely they should have, thought " sugar!! These are our most loyal and devoted customers! Lets get this sorted!" Obviously lm way off the mark there!!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Must have been "lets **** these stupidly loyal enthusiasts off so they leave windows phone, we have way too many customers already"

No, the point is to let everybody beta test some future features of the OS before everybody else. The whole Cyan thing happened because some users phones mistakenly locked up, so Microsoft put a pause on it until it's fixed. With then pushing out Cyan updates and working in their next firmware update, it's pretty safe to assume those of us who don't want to use the Nokia Recovery Tool are waiting for Denim.

Sorry, but that's just how I see it, which again... What does Cyan add? Didn't seem like much, honestly.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Cyan thing happened because some users installed the preview software onto their enterprise-encrypted devices - to my mind, this is a pretty foolhardy thing to do as you don't know how corporate EAS/policy will interact with preview software.

The problem is that Microsoft update servers don't know whether each phone is encrypted, so the only way to prevent bricked devices is to halt the update for everyone until it can be corrected - obviously, this hasn't been an easy fix. There's been a pilot fix deployed for some handsets for some carriers/regions. I had word yesterday that the DfP Cyan update will be resumes "shortly", although I don't have any more definite timescales than that.

As mentioned above, the Cyan firmware isn't a huge update, and won't do much to improve your life with your phone (Nokia push it so hard because they bundle firmware updates with major OS updates).

Developers aren't being left behind, we already have GDR1 after all, and GDR2 is on the way sometime soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720