Moving mother to Windows phone

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I am trying to set my mother up on my old HTC 8x so that she can try it out.

It is a different sim on the same network (tmobile). Also a different sized sim.

I have been trying to import her contacts from her android handset, and following various guides, have only been able to set up email. No contacts, and the only suggestion of these guides is to export to sim and import on the new phone.

Anyone know of a way I can import her contacts from the android handset (old, large sim) tho the HTC handset(micro sim)? Surely I can get at them over the net somehow...!

abdhoms

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If your mom's Android device is connected to a Google account (Gmail) and all of her contacts are linked to that account, you can just export these contacts to your (mom's) Microsoft account (Outlook/Hotmail). It's a very easy process and it only requires you to just transfer them from Gmail to Outlook/Hotmail. The rest will be done automatically.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
If her contacts are stored on Google, then all you need to do is add the account in the Settings, and her Google contacts will populate "People" in the phone.

Yeah, but they don't!

I think they are stored in google, but I can't find any way on her phone to check.
Anyone...?

Edit... The account is listed and sync is on for contacts. How do I tell if the contacts are in google or not...?

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but they don't!

I think they are stored in Google, but I can't find any way on her phone to check.
Anyone...?

Edit... The account is listed and sync is on for contacts. How do I tell if the contacts are in Google or not...?

Well they are probably stored on the SIM or the old phone. If they were stored on Google then you would have all your contacts after adding the account.

If they were stored to her old handset then they will need to be moved to the SIM. Then put the SIM in the new phone and import them to the phone using this guide...

Import contacts from old phone.

Pulkit Gambhir

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Export and import contacts using Outlook CSV file

Sign in to your Google contact on the web.
Go to More > Export.

On the Export contacts window, select My Contacts and Outlook CSV format, and then click Export.

A contacts.csv will be generated and save in a default location.

Now, sign in to the outlook.com using the Microsoft ID that you’re using to sign in your Windows Phone.

On the main page, click the arrow next to Outlook to get the drop-down menu that has various components: Mail, People, Calendar, SkyDrive.

Select People.

Now, click the Import from file link under the Add people to your contact list.

On the Importing contacts page, select Microsoft Outlook (using CSV) for Step 2, browse the generated contact.csv file for Step 3 and click Import contacts.

After awhile, you should see a message “You’ve successfully imported your contacts!”. Click the Return to contacts link to view the list of imported contacts.

If you’ve signed in to your Windows Phone using the same Microsoft ID, you should see the list of similar contacts in People app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism