Any difference in 1520?? Need some help in a decision.

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.
So basically I am a 1020 user and I am deciding to upgrade. The 1520 is basically hands down the best WindowsPhone flagship money can buy.
I love the screen,micro SD support,20 MP and not to forget the HUGE BATTERY LIFE(which is one of the reasons I am going for it).
My one concern which is really bugging me for some time and I wanted some help,
Since the 1520 has S800,will having a S805 make a difference? I mean what if you put a 1520 with Snapdragon 800 with a 1520 with Snapdragon 805?
Sure rumors are GDR2 will enable support for S805 and 2k display but the 2k thing, I don't need it as it is battery killer as I am not interested in it.
So what will be the difference? Will the future updates of Lumia will require S805 ONLY or will the new features will also work in S800? <----- This is the main question.

P.S----- Don't tell me to wait. :D

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well if you don't want to wait, you don't have to worry.. as there are no 1520 Lumias with a S805. All 1520s have only one choice; the S800.

We might see a 1520 successor sometime in the future (a 1525?) with an 805, but as of yet, no device exists...

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Well if you don't want to wait, you don't have to worry.. as there are no 1520 Lumias with a S805. All 1520s have only one choice; the S800.

We might see a 1520 successor sometime in the future (a 1525?) with an 805, but as of yet, no device exists...

That's not my point. I know that no Lumia exists with that processor and yeah maybe a future one could, what I am trying to say in a simple way is that is there any difference b/w a S800 and S805 in feature wise?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
That's not my point. I know that no Lumia exists with that processor and yeah maybe a future one could, what I am trying to say in a simple way is that is there any difference b/w a S800 and S805 in feature wise?

It doesn't really matter, right now. The OS or firmware will need to be coded to take advantage of any new features or technology.

If course a newer processor will have newer features that older processors dont support. This happens every year.

You wanna be on the bleeding edge of technology? Be prepared to buy $700-800 phones every 6 months. ;)

Enjoy what you have.

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't really matter, right now. The OS or firmware will need to be coded to take advantage of any new features or technology.

If course a newer processor will have newer features that older processors dont support. This happens every year.

You wanna be on the bleeding edge of technology? Be prepared to buy $700-800 phones every 6 months. ;)

Enjoy what you have.

THe OS might not require new hardware but the LUMIA SPECIFIC might.
Ex. Quad core S800-- 4k recording, hey Cortana etc which is not possible in Dual core S4.
In what way S805 is powerful in which S800 ain't?
That's my question..

And man,700-800$....pff I ain't buying an iPhone...! Haha

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you wait until November for your purchase? You may save some tens of dollars due to holiday sale or buy the upgraded (1530?) if you wish.

I also switched from 1020 (which I still use as a point-and-shoot and backup phone) to 1520.3. Here are the differences I found:

Battery: longer. An example, on a family trip to Bryant Park and Museum of Natural History on NYC, I used the 1520 with Waze (50 minute trip) and video. By 6PM, still had just over half battery capacity. My sister, brother, and their respective spouses all have iPhone 4/4s that were all dead. My 1020 (strictly pictures and video, no WiFi) was at twenty percent.

Size: took me approximately a month to adjust. Will need a case as it is slippery. Will need screen protector: 1020 is Gorilla Glass 3, 1520 is Gorilla Glass 2 (more scratch prone).

Screen: full HD makes all supporting apps amazing. Reading from the web rarely needs reading mode that is often necessary. Also, more legible in sunlight. Must invest time to arrange Live Tiles on screen.

Speed: Not so noticeable in 8.1, more noticeable in 8. Much faster in camera operations.

Camera: pictures will appear different (no xenon flash). Digital zoom is shorter of course. Video audio amazing.

Storage: for me the clincher. No longer need monthly audit for apps/data storage space due to 128GB micro-SDXC card. Do have to check apps for functionality from external storage.

WiFi: weaker. Will get two or three bars on 1020, while 1520 gets one.

Cellular: same

Other: will need SIM adapter if keeping 1020 as backup (nano-to-micro).

Last edited:

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Can you wait until November for your purchase? You may save some tens of dollars due to holiday sale or buy the upgraded (1530?) if you wish.

I also switched from 1020 (which I still use as a point-and-shoot and backup phone) to 1520.3. Here are the differences I found:

Battery: longer. An example, on a family trip to Bryant Park and Museum of Natural History on NYC, I used the 1520 with Waze (50 minute trip) and video. By 6PM, still had just over half battery capacity. My sister, brother, and their respective spouses all have iPhone 4/4s that were all dead. My 1020 (strictly pictures and video, no WiFi) was at twenty percent.

Size: took me approximately a month to adjust. Will need a case as it is slippery. Will need screen protector: 1020 is Gorilla Glass 3, 1520 is Gorilla Glass 2 (more scratch prone).

Screen: full HD makes all supporting apps amazing. Reading from the web rarely needs reading mode that is often necessary. Also, more legible in sunlight. Must invest time to arrange Live Tiles on screen.

Speed: Not so noticeable in 8.1, more noticeable in 8. Much faster in camera operations.

Camera: pictures will appear different (no xenon flash). Digital zoom is shorter of course. Video audio amazing.

Storage: for me the clincher. No longer need monthly audit for apps/data storage space due to 128GB micro-SDXC card. Do have to check apps for functionality from external storage.

WiFi: weaker. Will get two or three bars on 1020, while 1520 gets one.

Cellular: same

Other: will need SIM adapter if keeping 1020 as backup (nano-to-micro).

Thanks for the suggestion but I heard that there is no flagship in this year and there is no rumor about the 1530 so that ain't happening sooner.
I have actually no problem in waiting to be honest but the problem is that new flagship might arrive in 2015 and the nearest event to be held by MS is build which is 2nd APRIL. So I will have to wait 7 MORE MONTHS for that. So that's why I am asking.

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
There will be a major speed bump and support for 4k, it won't get warm while processing 4k.
Here is the difference explained:
Snapdragon 805 vs 801 vs 800 – Qualcomm’s processors explained - Opinion - Trusted Reviews
I'm not sure if it will have new features, let's say wake on-cam-image when it sees your face for example.

So does the 4k in S800 will get warm?? Anything else new in it??

One part gets me is the 55 mpx support on S805.
Will we see it in the future Lumia? Lets hope

Last edited:

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
An s800 will get warm while filming in 4k, sony has that problem in their z 2 and that one has an s801. It can only shoot for 3 to 5 minutes in 4k, then the camera app crashes, at least in the review i have read. I don't know if an update can make it film longer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss