Need help deciding on my next phone

W

WPCentral Question

Hey there,

I've been ruminating on this for a while and thought I'd turn to the experts for some advice.

I'm on T-Mo, get good signal where I live, like the pricing. I currently own 2 phones that I switch between:
1. HTC 8X
2. Nokia 521

On the 8X, I like that it has enough RAM that I don't have to worry about app restrictions, the larger screen, the higher resolution and , to be honest, the color.

On the 521 I like the expandable storage, the option for WiFi calling, user replaceable battery and the fact that if I take it somewhere I don't have to worry about it getting lost or stolen.

I actually think I'd be OK with the 8X more regularly if I could expand the storage.

I've been seriously considering dropping the $500 to get a 1520.3. I love the look of the device, and the specs are pretty nice even for a year old phone. The only things I might miss would be the WiFi calling and replaceable battery.

The question I have is, based on this info, should I go ahead and get a new phone, or wait and see if the 1525 ever materializes (and is actually on T-MO)? I was considering the HTC One and the Lumia 830, but I'm not convinced about the camera on the One, and the 1520.3 is just a MUCH better phone than the 830 for only about $100 more, and I wouldn't have to wait to get it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine T-Mobile getting the top end succesor to the L1520, even if it existed. Which, right now, it doesn't. So I would scratch that thought. However, my advice is based on your position:

1) If you are fine sticking with where you are right now, I think waiting a few weeks for the HTC ONE (M8) for Windows to come out on T-Mo and seeing the camera in real life is the wisest choice. T-Mo has announced it is coming and if the shooter is good enough for your purposes, it will be the best option by far.

2) If you can't wait, then I feel the best option may be to sacrifice the Wi-Fi calling and get the L1520. If T-Mo is strong in your area and you do not travel much, that is not a huge loss.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 1520.3 is a magnificent beast... But that WiFi Calling is important to some.

Pretty much what snowmutt said with the addition that the battery life on 1520 is fantastic. I'm not sure where having a battery cover makes any difference on this model. You might need a battery replacement after some time elapses, but you'll not need to swap in the field.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
1520 is the best option, if you want a replaceable battery, buy 830(compared to 1520 its nothing, but still a good buy). I don't think there'll be 1525, if there's a 1520 successor, it'll surely be 1530 or above that. So if you are willing to wait for some months, wait, otherwise go for 1520(its still a beautiful beast)

XtiaN710

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I'd say go for the 1520.3. The Lumia 1525 is currently the new unicorn device. No one knows when it'll be announced. It would have to be announced this month or early October for it to be released this year.

I'm also debating in getting the 1520.3. But, I just need to save up a bit. I currently have the 810.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb