When can we get Windows Phone 10?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
re:

You will be able to get Windows 10 on your PC later in 2015, but no word on the Windows Phone version yet. We can only assume around the same time.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think there is absolutely no chance the phone version will be released at the same time as the PC version. Have people already forgotten the carriers, OEM slackness and the general slowness of update rollouts which is now the hallmark of WP? If anything I would bet the phone version wont be seen before Holiday 2015.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
To my understanding, the 'phone version will be the same OS, with the desktop removed (and a few other tweaks) and I cannot see a reason why it would be delayed by any great deal of time, excepting the carriers dicking around like they always do.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
That might be true, but the DP will still push it out. Hopefully the vote for DP to include firmware will actually happen.

I think there is absolutely no chance the phone version will be released at the same time as the PC version. Have people already forgotten the carriers, OEM slackness and the general slowness of update rollouts which is now the hallmark of WP? If anything I would bet the phone version wont be seen before Holiday 2015.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I suspect this is basically, another do-over for the mobile OS side of things.

Many apps needed to get updated to 8.1 as it is; I suspect most will need to be completely re-written for Windows 10 for ARM.

Another app gap.

I'm also dubious that Windows 10 is going to run well on the Lumia 920 and 520, the two largest selling Windows Phone devices.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I think people have forgotten about the Apple way - release it all at once! :D
Very easily done when the only manufacturer of devices is well apple! If you have ever coded, which I doubt, you would know random bugs can pop up on devices even when they have never shown up on dozens of other devices. This takes time and a lot of testing. If you make everything in house its quite easy.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I would be very surprised if there's any public preview of the phone version before it goes to RTM. Remember, the DP of 8.1 came out just after the RTM.

And for those of you who want firmware in the DP, realize that that's just going to make it come later, since it takes time after RTM before the firmware's ready, regardless of which OEM we're talking about. Doing extensive development before the OS is final and they have something to test against would be risky and potentially expensive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro