Is it possible to include text in the Glance update screen?

emichalo

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I recently downloaded the update to Glance and it removed my text from Glance screen. Does anyone know to recover the text that used to be before the update, or has this feature has been removed by Microsoft so that the include their marketing junk like their weather screen, their rebranding of Health and Fitness from Bing to MSN etc.

Tom Mrazek

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, this has been completely removed, and as it looks, it took a lot of important text with it, not just yours. Maybe a backup recovery? Probably not though, especially if you don't want to go through the hassle. Simple answer: Sorry, your text is lost. Blame Redmond :(

emichalo

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies.

The first confirms that the problem is real and that the Glance update removed the capability of including custom text. The second, provides a solution to get around the problem, by using a backroung image with the desired text. I thought also of this solution and I will implement it on my phone.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I like the text also and didn't install the update. I was suspicious of it. I like Glance the way it is and was waiting to see if there was any feedback. Thank you for these comments. I'll continue to hold off on installing the update.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
What they should do is open some of the Glance APIs so that someone can make an app that integrates with the new glance screen (like Weather and Health do) that allows you to put a text in there. Or some more interesting stuff besides the weather. Glance can be a killer feature if they allow people to truly customize it.

emichalo

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
RE: hcrick

The problem with the custom text occurred in the Windows Phone 8.1 the recent early October update to the Glance screen app.

I was able to try the solution of creating a picture using the Windows paint program where I typed my desired custom text. In this program you can select the background and text colors as you prefer. Do not worry about cropping the picture to the borders of the text. This can be handled later using the settings, lock screen options in the phone. Be careful to use the .png format of this picture. Other formats might also work (I found some that worked and some that did not.

I copied this file on my phone (on the phone's memory and not on the SD card memory) and used settings, lock screen on the phone and then select as background photo, change photo options to the picture file with the desired text which was created in the paint program. During this process you can move the text horizontally bring it in the center of the screen. As for the vertical location and the size of the text it is a trial process back in the paint program in conjunction with the lock screen taking into account other notifications and apps that show in the lock screen so these do not overlap.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: hcrick,
Please check your facts and site your context and sources. You provide no real information about context? Yes, we know that text works on the Glance Lock screen. It does on my Lumia 822 running WP 8.0 and Black, without the recent update to the "display".

Not sure what you are looking for but I was merely pointing to an app that I use to show custom text on my glance screen. Perhaps I misunderstood what your issue was. I did not research it so I'm not sure what facts, context, or sources you want. If you mean my device info then it is Nokia 920, WP 8.10.14176.243, Cyan, no idea what version of display (perhaps you can tell me how to find out). Hope this helps.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you are looking for but I was merely pointing to an app that I use to show custom text on my glance screen. Perhaps I misunderstood what your issue was. I did not research it so I'm not sure what facts, context, or sources you want. If you mean my device info then it is Nokia 920, WP 8.10.14176.243, Cyan, no idea what version of display (perhaps you can tell me how to find out). Hope this helps.
Re: Hcric,
Thank you. Your original 5 words said the lock screen text works. Now I understand better what you are saying. Please forgive me, I didn't mean to, as someone said, "bash you". I was simply trying to understand.

Based on what I've been reading, the text in the glance screen has actually been removed as a feature and does not work in the "Display" update we received, but you and others are suggesting work-around solutions.

I'll hold off on installing the new update version of Lumia "Display", so I can keep my text displaying in the Glance Lock Screen.

Thank you, Best Wishes.

Last edited:

emichalo

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Your link to the app "Glance Screen Text" , does not work with this new Glance update. That program was intended and worked with the previous edition of Glance and it used the text option of Glance to work. Since the text option was removed it does not work. I do not know if the authors of Glance Screen Text can come up with a solution and issue a revision which provides the custom text capability. In the mean time the solution of creating a background phone using Paint which contains the desired custom text works fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster