Lumia ICON or HTC One M8 for Windows?

becho321

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I am going to Verizon this week and looking to upgrade my phone. I am planning on switching to Windows Phone from Android and was really intrigued by the camera and wireless charging along with overall build quality of the Lumia ICON. However without the cyan update yet, would I be better off going with the HTC One M8? Is this lack of an update worth getting the lesser quality phone for or should I get the Icon and stick it out with everyone else?

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I got icon, I dont have cyan. I have 8.1 devpre.

I don't really have issues except when I am watching a video on a website in landscape it will lock up and restarted.

I have learned how to duplicate the issue and a work around.

To duplicate the issue. Press play, turn landscape, press full screen, press small screen, navigate up or down.

A work around is, you need to pause video while in full screen before you make it smaller and navigate up or down.

but I heard only great things about the m8 so why not try both

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You need to look a them both before deciding. We can't decide for you. There are plenty of reviews of both devices on here to look at. Some people have both, used both and prefer one over the other one. They will both have their pros and cons. You have to decide what you can live with and without.

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I'd encourage you to follow the Official 8.1/cyan for Icon page for more advice. If possible and you are set on WP, switch to AT&T. Depending on where you live, this may not be an option though. Regardless, the Icon is a fantastic phone as is. The lack of SD slot, Glance, and suspect battery life (in DP) are the only cons. The camera is amazing as you already might know. The M8 has 8.1, which is fantastic, but that's about it. Yes, you can get the DP on the Icon, but it still is buggy. I caution you that Verizon staff could ridicule you as they did with me about WP, assuming that they have any in stock. If you aren't an app junkie, WP works great. If I were you, I'd pass on the M8 and hope for a new windows phone or Wai for 8.1 to be officially released on the Icon.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
With the Developer Preview option easily available to get 8.1 (and future updates as well!) straight from MS instead of waiting for Verizon I think that really helps the case for the Icon. Obviously you still have to wait for the Cyan/Denim/etc... firmware updates to come from Verizon but the OS features themselves are easily handled by the Dev Preview option. You specifically mention being interested in wireless charging and the quality of the camera, both of which are solid points in favor of the Icon over the HTC phone.

becho321

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I'd encourage you to follow the Official 8.1/cyan for Icon page for more advice. .

I am already subscribed don't worry!

Thank you for the feedback guys. I think I will go with the Icon and try out the PFD until the cyan update comes around. Either way I'll be switching over to windows phone and be using this site a ton for help. Thanks again!

greyskytheory

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Considering I was on your exact shoes about three weeks ago I will suggest you go with the Icon. I left sprint and android for Verizon and the M8. The camera on the M8 was terrible imo. The SD card slot and installed 8.1 as well as the overall design made me grab the M8 even though I went in to buy the Icon. After using the M8 o decided even though aesthetically I felt it was superior to the Icon, the performance just was not there. I returned the M8, got the Icon and I'm extremely happy. The lack of SD card doesn't bother me. I've got about 10gb of music on the phone which is more than enough since I only use it in my car (I've got a Zune HD for the gym). I installed dev preview 8.1 and that is running smooth and the camera is great. Another thing I like are some of the Nokia apps like the offline maps. One disadvantage of the M8 is that it doesn't have hardware buttons so you'll have to swipe up and down on the screen to bring up the hardware buttons. This takes up screen real estate until you remember to swipe down again to remove it..thats just my opinion. Icon and windows phone for the win.

chittresh dhawan1

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Dude.. If I was you I would take 930 If expandable storage is not an issue.. Although am a huge fan of HTC myself but the support for Lumia devices is excellent.. You will get almost every update fast enough.. Not sure of your carrier though.. I have 1520 here in India

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am going to Verizon this week and looking to upgrade my phone. I am planning on switching to Windows Phone from Android and was really intrigued by the camera and wireless charging along with overall build quality of the Lumia ICON. However without the cyan update yet, would I be better off going with the HTC One M8? Is this lack of an update worth getting the lesser quality phone for or should I get the Icon and stick it out with everyone else?

While the m8 is a nice phone, the overall better experience for windows has proven to come from the Lumia lineup from the app exclusives to the firmware updates and features Nokia packed into their devices. The m8 has some nice features such as the speaker and the SD card slot

But the icon for me feels like a phone that overall is the full package and offers a unique windows phone experience and even though it doesn't have cyan how it will eventually and then there is denim to look forward to. I'd rather get an icon and wait vs choosing the m8 which doesn't have it at all.

Go icon...you will love it and here is an early welcome to team Lumia :D

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have both, and have been using the HTC since if launched. hardware is stunning, it's fast as hell and outstanding battery, plus the speakers are great and dot view is cool. That said, the only reason I got it was I had a bad feeling about Cyan on the Icon and I wad able to get the M8 for $100. I love the Icon, its a beast and the camera is amazing (and would be better with Cyan). Depends on what you want and value more, but there were too many problems for me with the Icon on old firmware to keep using right now. Desperately want it updated though

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa