On my WP 8.1 Lumia 520, why aren't photos on my SD card showing in photos app?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

WP 8.1 Lumia 520 ? Photos on SD card not showing in photos app

My brother needs me to send him pictures from his SD card with my phone. The issue is, when I put the SD card in the phone, the pictures rarely show up (if ever). It usually is a process of turning the phone on and off again, removing the memory card a billion times, etc.

When I go to photos, as said nothing shows up but the pictures that are already on my phone. When I go to "storage sense" to look at the memory card, the data which is taken up by the photos doesn't fall under the "photos" category, it falls under "other" which the phone describes as unrecognized content...

How can this be fixed? I already reset my phone, it didn't work.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WP 8.1 Lumia 520 ? Photos on SD card not showing in photos app

Is the SD card from another WP or from a camera?

If it's from another WP then make sure your phone is set to read from SD card in Storage Sense.

If it's from a camera or other device, that will be the issue. With WP can't read a SD card from another device.

Lastly, have you tried the Files app?

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/files/762e837f-461d-4847-8399-3526f54fc25e

Tony Balogna

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: WP 8.1 Lumia 520 ? Photos on SD card not showing in photos app

Hey N Larue, thanks for the answer...

The SD card is from a camera. As I said it does work, but only sometimes, but I guess it's just luck?

I don't see an option in storage sense that says "read from SD card"

I have not tried the files app, I'll give it ago. The photos are appearing in my phone now, but this is a process I have to do at least every week so I'll be able to find out if the files app does anything to help.

Here's how I got it to work (for now):

1. Safely remove the original SD card (not my brother's) from the storage sense app
2. Safely turn off the phone (by holding down the power button)
3. Remove SD card and replace with the new one
4. Turn on phone
5. If the photos don't appear, turn the phone off again (safely) and then on again

It's not 100% guaranteed to work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786