How can I keep my privacy safe when selling my phone?

ksayeds

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
privacy issue

Hi,
I am selling my phone, and I wanna make sure that my files after deletion will not be restorable.

here is what I did:
1-I made a phone reset (settings/about/phone reset) ===>Is this the hard reset ???
2-I copied enormous amount of audio files and two large video files (1 GB/each) to the phone. The space left was as low as 32KB so that I could not actually start any app unless I deleted some audio files.
3-I went to music app so that the device would recognise the audio files (I guess was unnecessary)
4-I made another phone reset (settings/about/phone rest)
5-Tonight I will turn cam on until tomorrow morning to record a video in a dark place, that video will consume the full space
6-I will make another reset

**My question: Is that enough to keep my privacy safe when I sell my phone? Do I need to do more...if yes what should I ?

Thx

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: privacy issue

That is way more than enough. Heck that's beyond necessary.

I'm sure you'll have no issues when selling your phone. Windows Phone is a fairly secure phone in the first place. You probably didn't need to go that far but if it makes you feel better.

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

The only way the next person to get your details is I they log in using your Microsoft account and password. Since they are not getting that there is no way they can redownload all your stuff 😊

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Step 1 is all you need. Hard reset the phone and leave the buyer to run through the set up wizard. The new user won't be able to see any of your data as the phone can't be mounted as a disk in order to undelete files.

ksayeds

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Thank you pete.
Do you mean that after hard reset only the new buyer will not be able to restore my pics, office files, videos, etc that were stored on my phone memory??I already overwritten the phone that I had reset twice. Do you believe this will work?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes. The only way that a new owner would be able to access your content would be for you not to hard reset your phone.

You've done enough. All you have to do is leave the phone in a state where the new user has to connect to a network and enter their own Microsoft Account. After that, they will have no access to your content. No photos, no text messages, no contacts, nothing at all.

ksayeds

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Hi n_larue
Thank you for your reply.
In fact I came from an Android background and that's how people there do mostly + shredding the space after reset. However, because wp has no file shredder I did all the steps as if my phone is android one. Indeed it makes me feel better to go that far.
Thank you for your help, LA RUE :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro