Are you guys sure that there is no need for anti-virus software?

Will Shelton

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Here's the deal; I have a Nokia Lumia 520 with 8.1 on it. I received an e-mail from my schools tech company saying that my phone had a Trojan virus on it. The IT guys thought it was my computer that was the problem, but apparently not, and because everyone is so adamant about the fact that there is no need for some kind of anti-virus they are telling me to reset my phone to factory settings. Not really in the mood to do that, so any advice?

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
1: how would they know it has a Trojan? They can't scan it, anything you connect a phone to should be in an open DMZ anyway, the most a phone connects to is email, and you can't run anything from the email viewer.
2: What school? I don't think any non college has funds to tell who is doing what, let alone something like you are describing.
3: It sounds fishy to me, did they ask you to run or install anything? I don't trust it.

Source: I'm a senior network engineer for an MSP.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't seem likely. First of all like the iphone windows phone prevents you from running anything you want. Second of all because its not the same thing as desktop windows that means the vulnerabilities aren't the same therefore any exploit has to target windows phone directly. Because of the fact that we have at best 4%-5% of the marketshare, why would anyone waste their time creating one? Its the same reason that mac's usually don't get viruses. Its not because they are more secure (in fact it appears they are actually the least secure) but due to their low marketshare no one wastes their time on developing viruses them except in rare cases.

So could there be a virus for WP? Possibly but not likely. Problem is that because of the way windows phone works you can't make an A/V that actually does anything useful in the first place. I think at best you could accidentally copy a virus from your computer to your phone and then from your phone to another computer. The virus wouldn't affect the phone but it would affect the computers involved. It would be a carrier only worst likely case.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure there is no need for a WP anti virus. That guy must overlook (Maybe on purpose) something in their PC's system, most likely the trojan is there not in your phone, simply is not possible because most of the malware are coded to work-infiltrate in most popular OS like Windows x86-64.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Your tech guy is an *****

Best quote of the day!!!!

Windows Phones DO NOT have viruses.... End of discussion...

How do I know this?? I have deliberately tried to 'infect' my 1520 with numerous viruses and the like. It just doesn't do anything. Files can be copied, but do not go any further, even when run deliberately.
The OS is a completely compartmentalised 'sandbox'.. Relax and have a laugh at your 'IT guy's' expense.. What a d**k!!!

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just delete the email message from your phone and pc now ! Trojans and virus have a hard time with firewalls and the easy route on to a pc is in email form. And the phone Trojan or virus, what they will do ! is through a app from the store. Yes the odd 1 turns up and are very rare with windows phone now and more with android and its from untrustworthy side loaded apps at that, and not from the Google store. Your IT guys are not very good and forget about them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon