Can anyone help me decide if a WP8 is the phone for me?

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
[Question] Potential new WP8 user.

Appologies if this posts twice, I couldn't see my last effort - must have pressed the wrong button.

I said this much better first time around, however here goes.

I am already in the 5% user group (I have a blackberry Z10). I was looking to upgrade to the passport - even ordered it, but it is going to take a month or so to be sent. My daughter got a nokia 520 the other day, and do you know what - I liked it. Yes it is slow and the hardware is not up to modern spec, but I liked the way it worked. I am not inspired in any way with apple or android. I suppose I like the underdog.

Anyway, I am a heavy power user - I am a firmware developer and ask a lot from my phone. I use it like a micro laptop. I regularly run servers like web servers (via python) and even have a native toolchain on the phone. I use shell access and have multiple things running at the same time (true multitasking). I had a quick play and installed python and console on my daughter's phone - so I know they exist.

I was thinking of something like a 930 (had a nokia 808, so I like the camera). Are there any other low level power users around? Can I get what I want done on wp? I realise this is the wp forum, so I am asking the converted. For the same price, am I better off cancelling the passport and getting a 930, or is there a better wp phone? I don't mind developer mode and installing my own apps (if that is possible). I really hate the restrictions of iOS (from the low level), and the inconsistency of android. I am only really left with bb10, wp8.1 and meego (sailfish).

Thanks in advance (and sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
re: [Question] Potential new WP8 user.

I can't really help you with your specific needs because I know nothing about using shell access etc. Assuming all that is available on WP, I would advise you AGAINST the 930. For one very simple reason: you'll have to keep it plugged in. The 930 comes with a miserable 2400mAh battery which drains super fast. You won't get much out of it.
If you're looking for a powerful WP with good battery AND size ins't an issue, then the 1520 is a better option for you.

Sailfish OS is still in development and there's only 1 phone available with not that good specs. For a poweruser, the Jolla isn't for your. This, of course, because you don't like Android. Otherwise I'd advise you the Xperia Z3 which has amazing battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abigial