Building my first computer, need some help

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
So I'm coming from a MacBook pro I've always bought computers and never have made them, but I think its time i should try it out, I heard its cheaper and you can get exactly what you want, since this is my first time, I thought I would ask the community for some pointers on making a computer I plan on having windows 8 on it and upgrading to 10 when it comes out, I'm a music producer I use ableton and vsts with it, I have an external soundcard (focusrite saphire 2i2) and I have 2 krk rokit 5s with it, I'm looking for specs that will work nicely with that sort of software, so if you have any tips or videos that will help me how to learn to build the computer than please do help, also I haven't really decided if I wanted a laptop or a desktop, I'm leaning towards desktop. Thanks

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
You'll definitely want to go desktop over laptop for the sheer reliability and power. I would say you generally want at least a quadcore (beware, there are still dual-cores out there) and, for future-proofing, at LEAST 8gb RAM. Avoid solid state, as they don't last as long and are generally unreliable right now.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Avoid solid state, as they don't last as long and are generally unreliable right now.

A pretty bold statement that I find incorrect. SSD's these days are excellent and reliable. Samsung, Intel, and a few other's make awesome SSD's.

Go for quad core i7 CPU's with Hyper-threading. Running A lot of audio production app's need RAM space, so 8GB is good, although 16GB isn't much more. Use an SSD as your C: drive for programs and then run at least 2 HDD's, one for the audio files and the other for samples. You could start off with lesser equipment, but it really depends on your budget and how much work your going to do on this machine.

You can build a seriously powerful Audio Production suite for the money, that will give you years of service. I did in 2009.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
A pretty bold statement that I find incorrect. SSD's these days are excellent and reliable. Samsung, Intel, and a few other's make awesome SSD's.

Go for quad core i7 CPU's with Hyper-threading. Running A lot of audio production app's need RAM space, so 8GB is good, although 16GB isn't much more. Use an SSD as your C: drive for programs and then run at least 2 HDD's, one for the audio files and the other for samples. You could start off with lesser equipment, but it really depends on your budget and how much work your going to do on this machine.

You can build a seriously powerful Audio Production suite for the money, that will give you years of service. I did in 2009.

Cool ya I'm pretty much sold on desktop, and I'm looking to spend around 1500-2000 on it and do you guys have recommendations on monitors?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes you can get a lenova workstation with specs cheaper through their outlet store than you can build one. I got one with a zeon class, w class, quad core chip for $429 6 months ago. Had to add ram, but its one hell of a beast of a desktop.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes you can get a lenova workstation with specs cheaper through their outlet store than you can build one. I got one with a zeon class, w class, quad core chip for $429 6 months ago. Had to add ram, but its one hell of a beast of a desktop.

Is this what your talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F6...20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2809405#ref=mp_s_a_1_1
If so I might need a little more juice on the processor and stuff cause ableton does need at least core i7 to run fast

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Best thing to do is focus. You have a budget now. So break it down.

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, Drives, and case.

Motherboard - Go for ASUS or Gigabyte. Back in 2009 I went with Gigabyte cause they played well with interfaces I used at the time. Today either of the two will do great as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is USB2. Soooo your good.

CPU - i7 Quad Cores with Hyperthreading. Great processing for single and multithreaded applications.

RAM - Go for at least 8GB, plenty of space for loading those samples, using effects, and plugins.

GPU - Audio programs are 2D so a basic card will do. Consider multi-monitor setups, great productivity. And if the desktop is in the same room then look at fanless GPU's or decent quiet active cooled cards.

PSU - Corsair. Simple.

Drives - An SSD for your OS and Programs. One HHD for your sample files, and one for your audio, and maybe another for other bits of stuff to do with Music Production.

Case - your choice. Think quiet with good cooling.

Another thing to think about is CPU cooling. There's plenty good, quiet, coolers out there. And one intake fan, and one exhaust. A very good set up can be had for your budget.

Then pop your OS on and start programming!

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Best thing to do is focus. You have a budget now. So break it down.

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, Drives, and case.

Motherboard - Go for ASUS or Gigabyte. Back in 2009 I went with Gigabyte cause they played well with interfaces I used at the time. Today either of the two will do great as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is USB2. Soooo your good.

CPU - i7 Quad Cores with Hyperthreading. Great processing for single and multithreaded applications.

RAM - Go for at least 8GB, plenty of space for loading those samples, using effects, and plugins.

GPU - Audio programs are 2D so a basic card will do. Consider multi-monitor setups, great productivity. And if the desktop is in the same room then look at fanless GPU's or decent quiet active cooled cards.

PSU - Corsair. Simple.

Drives - An SSD for your OS and Programs. One HHD for your sample files, and one for your audio, and maybe another for other bits of stuff to do with Music Production.

Case - your choice. Think quiet with good cooling.

Another thing to think about is CPU cooling. There's plenty good, quiet, coolers out there. And one intake fan, and one exhaust. A very good set up can be had for your budget.

Then pop your OS on and start programming!

Hmmm thanks that really helped looks like core i7 and 8gbs of ram is best, i saw in other forums that some people Said to get an ssd drive for the oS and a regular hard drive for the rest of your memory, how do you feel about that? And any suggestions on what brand to get for ram?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm thanks that really helped looks like core i7 and 8gbs of ram is best, i saw in other forums that some people Said to get an ssd drive for the oS and a regular hard drive for the rest of your memory, how do you feel about that? And any suggestions on what brand to get for ram?

Personally, I've had great experience with Corsair, but I've also heard good things about Klingston.

Although, I think before you take too many suggestions, it's probably very important to know what your budget is. How much are you willing to spend on this thing.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

Yep, use the SSD for your OS and programs, and use hard drives for all your audio stuff.

Your safe with any kind of decent RAM, doesn't have to be the high performance stuff you use for overclocking.

Personally, I've had great experience with Corsair, but I've also heard good things about Kingston.

This.

Last edited:

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And I'm not really familiar with all the chips is this what you guys are talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2809655

I've heard that's a decent CPU but I'm more of a AMD user so I'll let them say what's good power for your money.

As for a Monitor around $300, I highly recommend the Asus Monitor. 144Hz and 1m. It has great features for the price compared to a lot of monitors.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ewegg.com%2FProduct%2Findex%2F&token=XkhTvZwb

Amazon also has it on sale
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2809655

For Memory I recommend either getting G.Skill, Corsair or Kingston (I lean more towards G.Skill myself as they offer Lifetime warranties on all memory sticks.)

SSD I would look into getting a Kingston HyperX or even on of the newer Intel/Samsung drives as they are beasts. You can also get a motherboard that supports M.2 and use on of those (Look like RAM but runs as a SSD.)

Motherboards I would recommend is either ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte as they have great features and build quality. I'm more ASUS as they have overall better reliability and support on their boards.

Since I'm doing all of this off from my phone and don't have a set computer to build let me know as I get out of work in 4 hours and can help you then. I build PCs for a living and can sit down and give you some different products to look at.

Also what ever you do, do not cheap out on a PSU (Power Supply) if you get a cheap one, it can ruin your entire system. It can be from not providing the power that its suppose to be or just faulty and fry everything or catch fire (seen that last one before.)

Last edited:

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
No, it is not the latest Hashwell CPU ...

Intel Core i7-4770K - Newegg.com

EDIT: YOU are building a true workhorse :p - do you need that ?

Well I'm not sure that's why I'm asking here, like I said in the beginning im a music producer and have been using MacBook pro for the past 3 years, I use ableton live and vsts like sylenth1 and ni massive I have an external soundcard (the Scarlett saphire 2i2. But I want a computer that will run fast with those programs

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not sure that's why I'm asking here, like I said in the beginning im a music producer and have been using MacBook pro for the past 3 years, I use ableton live and vsts like sylenth1 and ni massive I have an external soundcard (the Scarlett saphire 2i2. But I want a computer that will run fast with those programs

Honestly, I am not familiar with all that - maybe Kyle Stilkey can advice you, it seems that he knows (based on what he is writing up here) ...

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I've heard that's a decent CPU but I'm more of a AMD user so I'll let them say what's good power for your money.

As for a Monitor around $300, I highly recommend the Asus Monitor. 144Hz and 1m. It has great features for the price compared to a lot of monitors.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ewegg.com%2FProduct%2Findex%2F&token=gOC296np

Amazon also has it on sale
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2809740

For Memory I recommend either getting G.Skill, Corsair or Kingston (I lean more towards G.Skill myself as they offer Lifetime warranties on all memory sticks.)

SSD I would look into getting a Kingston HyperX or even on of the newer Intel/Samsung drives as they are beasts. You can also get a motherboard that supports M.2 and use on of those (Look like RAM but runs as a SSD.)

Motherboards I would recommend is either ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte as they have great features and build quality. I'm more ASUS as they have overall better reliability and support on their boards.

Since I'm doing all of this off from my phone and don't have a set computer to build let me know as I get out of work in 4 hours and can help you then. I build PCs for a living and can sit down and give you some different products to look at.

Also what ever you do, do not cheap out on a PSU (Power Supply) if you get a cheap one, it can ruin your entire system. It can be from not providing the power that its suppose to be or just faulty and fry everything or catch fire (seen that last one before.)

Thanks ill look into this

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750