When will we see the next high end Lumia?

W

WPCentral Question

I love my lumia 930 best phone i ever owned and all my friends see it ask about it and are impressed.
When we see the next high end lumia i understand it must be expensive but mircosoft have to put something out there to grab peoples attention to really take off, like samsung did with the galaxy.
i mean the windows phone operating system is by far the best but people generally don't understand that so mircosoft have to give us a phone that opens everyones eyes!!!!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
How is the battery life. I have a 920 and its decent, but to get a full day I have to limit background processes a lot and only have GPS on briefly needed which makes being able to fully utilize Cortana not really a possibility. If I read news a decent amount of the day, 30-44 minutes of gaming, and two hours of music, with GPS on only for Cortana useage do you think I could get a full day of use?

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
The premium handset market is over-saturated. Especially here in the USA. Microsoft isn't stupid and doesn't want to invest the R&D, Product Testing and Advertising is a shrinking USA phone market where subsidy is how a lot of people get a hold of their "high end" devices.

You can expect more mid-range and low-tier handsets from Microsoft. Their focus is also in emerging markets, where there is money (and customers) to gain.

I also don't see why we need more high-end lumias. Do you really want to follow the Samsung Model where they push out new plastic phones every 6 months?

We have the Lumia Icon, the Lumia 1520, and the Lumia 930. What more do you want? These are all very capable and cutting edge devices.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The premium handset market is over-saturated. Especially here in the USA. Microsoft isn't stupid and doesn't want to invest the R&D, Product Testing and Advertising is a shrinking USA phone market where subsidy is how a lot of people get a hold of their "high end" devices.

You can expect more mid-range and low-tier handsets from Microsoft. Their focus is also in emerging markets, where there is money (and customers) to gain.

I also don't see why we need more high-end lumias. Do you really want to follow the Samsung Model where they push out new plastic phones every 6 months?

We have the Lumia Icon, the Lumia 1520, and the Lumia 930. What more do you want? These are all very capable and cutting edge devices.

The Icon was retired by Verizon, and AT&T/T-Mobile aren't getting the 930.

Sprint doesn't have any Lumias.

The 1520 is only available for AT&T, so that isn't much choice for US customers who don't use AT&T or want a smaller high-end device.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
The Icon was literally just retired. That doesn't mean it isn't readily available. Also, all windows phones are sim-unlocked. You can readily use Verizon branded windows phones on literally any other carrier aside from Sprint. Many latin-American windows phones also carry the LTE bands for gsm carriers here in the USA. So there are plenty of options and phones US buyers can use.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

I want a 930 with the frequencies for lte to work on At&t! It feels stupid to spend so much money on an upgrade and lose lte.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
The high end devices tend to drive the interest. Press is given to the cutting edge devices. What Windows needs is some good press. The blogs and the tech sites won't mention Windows without a new high end device.
For the most part, the people on this site want the next new thing. Myself included.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
The high end devices tend to drive the interest. Press is given to the cutting edge devices. What Windows needs is some good press. The blogs and the tech sites won't mention Windows without a new high end device.
For the most part, the people on this site want the next new thing. Myself included.

It's a balancing act, Sony have been getting a lot of press lately (outside the US anyway) with their 6 monthly refresh of the Z/Z compact line up which is good for them. However, if I had bought a flagship Z2 6 months ago and it has already been superseded by the Z3 I would be a little grumpy, even if the upgrade is incremental rather than the addition of any killer feature.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Agree with the first part of this but not the second.

It's difficult for flagships at the top to make super money, the LG G3 ffor example has been heavily reduced in price, while Sony and HTC have struggled to turn a big profit. So I can understand Microsoft's reluctance.

But for those of us who want a new 2014 flagship it's disappointing right now. All the companies above put out top spec handsets in 2014. McLaren was supposed to be ours before it was axed. Now we know the next True flagship will launch under Microsoft Lumia Branding with Win10. This will be THE handset that will catch the tech press's attention even if it does come Q3 2015.

I disagree with your Samsung comment though. The last 2 top range handsets they released (Galaxy Alpha & Note 4) are stunning metal designs in real life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb