Windows off monitor off cpu still on

viky1101

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I have pc which doesn't wanna switch off .... I switch it off and the monitor goes blank but the cpu still running I.e. The fan and the led lights still on ... I have to use the long press of power button to switch it off.
Any advise plzzz!!!

viky1101

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I am running Windows 7 on my pc. And have done all important updates till today. The problem started today evening. Before my cmos battery had some error my time time and date were set to default after every switch off. So I opened my CPU and gave it a spin. After that it worked untill in the eve when I tried switching it off it didn't want too

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Did you change the CMOS battery? If so, make sure you check your BIOS settings. I'd recommend doing a reset of your BIOS settings and then making sure everything is ok. If the battery dies, it can corrupt the BIOS settings.

viky1101

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I changed my battery couple of months back... Actually I have had to change the battery often. And I do it everytime I get this error l. But the main problem is the cpu doesn't wanna switch off

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
That little CMOS battery should last for years. You shouldn't have to frequently change that battery. Do you have a way to check that battery, is it actually dying? Or are the settings just clearing? Do a reset of your BIOS settings and reset what is necessary to make the PC boot properly. If it keeps losing time, then you have some other issue on that PC.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this will help. I think what is happening is that your CPU is waiting for devices to shut down before it does. So if u have a HDD connected through USB port, remove it
if you have updated your graphics card driver then roll back as it might be causing issues
Also uninstall and reinstall the LAN driver is you are connected to a LAN
do the same with the WiFi driver

It is probably one of these things that are causing the issue. It happened to me and it was actually my graphics driver and lan driver not shutting down properly.

Hope this will help you fix your issue.

viky1101

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Okk .. Now I opened my cpu and did a dj scratch with my cmos battery and plugged in the power chord inside the cpu again l... Shuts down in time but on switching it on ... Shows cpu fan error

viky1101

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Its not even a month with that battery ... I am not sure about the battery being the problem ... But still I would change it ... As for now I don't know what's with this fan error ...

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah this is getting confusing because you are listing out several unrelated (I believe) issues and you are getting scattered answers for each of those things.

As for the shutdown issue, can you please go into safe mode and try powering down from there and report back what happens.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like S2 sleep mode. It's possible that with the loss of cmos settings, your motherboard changed the type of sleep it goes into.

First, go to power options. If the power button is configured to put the computer to sleep, then this is most certainly the problem.

Enter your motherboard settings by rebooting and pressing the corresponding button the startup screen says will bring you to settings. It might be delete, F1, F2, F12...

Next, look through all the power related settings for something that says S1 or S2. Set it to S3.

Save the settings (they won't save if you don't have a good battery in the motherboard). Enjoy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett