Is Lumia 920 still worth to buy?

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick question. I can get a secondhand unlocked Lumia 920 for around $300 here, should I get it? Been using Lumia 520 for 2 months but the resuming screen is a big annoyance for me, and most apps is not resumed at the exact point when I leave them anyway, which makes "resuming" useless. Hoping to get little-to-no resuming screen on a higher RAM phone.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The 920 was the flagship when it was launched. That was two years ago now, and if you're used to a faster phone, like the 1520 or an Icon, then the 920 will start to feel it's age. But compared to the 520, the phone is faster and much higher quality. You'll also get the benefit of Qi charging, a great camera, the front facing camera, and I rarely see the resuming screen with my 920.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
If you can get the 920 for that price, why not consider the 730 as well?

Both phones have 1GB RAM, and the 730 is slightly faster due to its newer chipset and lower number of pixels to push.

The problem is, among Lumia x30 series, 730/735 and 830 isn't released in my country, and I doubt they will even get here. Any other suggestions for that price?

The 920 was the flagship when it was launched. That was two years ago now, and if you're used to a faster phone, like the 1520 or an Icon, then the 920 will start to feel it's age. But compared to the 520, the phone is faster and much higher quality. You'll also get the benefit of Qi charging, a great camera, the front facing camera, and I rarely see the resuming screen with my 920.

Yes! That's what I'm after, so you can confirm that there's almost no resuming on 920? I don't do games so processor raw performance isn't a big factor, I just want big RAM my apps won't go tombstoned and unable to perfectly resume.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't say that I never ever see the resuming screen, but after using the phone for nearly two years, I can verify that the resuming screen is pretty uncommon for me.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I can't say that I never ever see the resuming screen, but after using the phone for nearly two years, I can verify that the resuming screen is pretty uncommon for me.

Cool, thanks. Just one more question and I will get the 920, are you on Cyan update? Because I noticed my 520 takes a lot of time (4-5 seconds) rendering Start Screen (all tiles losing their image) after I pressed Start from heavy apps such as Facebook, which definitely didn't happens when I'm on Black, it was instantly back then. Does 920 has this drawbacks on Cyan too?

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I am running the DP 8.1 Update 1, with the Cyan firmware. When I press the start button, it smoothly renders the start screen quickly.

Hey um sorry to bother you again but, how does the battery life after 2 years? Can you tell me about your usage and how long the battery last atm, compared with when you just bought it? Since I'm going to buy a secondhand phone so it's a concern for me.

ortizang

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
The problem is, among Lumia x30 series, 730/735 and 830 isn't released in my country, and I doubt they will even get here. Any other suggestions for that price?

Yes! That's what I'm after, so you can confirm that there's almost no resuming on 920? I don't do games so processor raw performance isn't a big factor, I just want big RAM my apps won't go tombstoned and unable to perfectly resume.

Well, analyzing your situation I would advise you to get it as long as it's not a contract. It's gonna be an upgrade for you and even though it's a little old it is a great phone and for your purpose it will suit you well!!!

ortizang

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey um sorry to bother you again but, how does the battery life after 2 years? Can you tell me about your usage and how long the battery last atm, compared with when you just bought it? Since I'm going to buy a secondhand phone so it's a concern for me.

The battery life is not so good. I have to charge mine twice a day!

anon(8057870)

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick question. I can get a secondhand unlocked Lumia 920 for around $300 here, should I get it? Been using Lumia 520 for 2 months but the resuming screen is a big annoyance for me, and most apps is not resumed at the exact point when I leave them anyway, which makes "resuming" useless. Hoping to get little-to-no resuming screen on a higher RAM phone.

An year and half ago, I paid 400$ in Dubai. 300 is bit on the higher side. I do see resuming . Buy not so annoying but wish it was nil. I am cyan and preview for dev. Rest everything is good. Battery is not great, but I do heavy browsing on 3G and brightness always kept at high. Goes around 6-7 hrs only. But its more or less the same since I got it.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
At work, I play music off of it almost all day, either streaming or MP3s on the phone to a bluetooth speaker. While I am sitting around at my desk, it's on a wireless charger all day, so it's hard to say for sure.

I don't think my battery life has decreased significantly over the course of owning my phone, but the 920 never was the best in the world at battery life anyway.

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
The 920 is still a great phone. Every bit as lasting as an iPhone 5/5S and about as fast. If you get it though I suggest signing up for the Developer Preview. Keeps your phone completely up to date. Plus it still has a year of updates and support on it still. Battery life is based on usage but I can get through a day on moderate usage.

Personal note, i find the 920 to be more feature complete than any other Lumia except for the 1520. Only thing that's missing is Qi charging.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, analyzing your situation I would advise you to get it as long as it's not a contract. It's gonna be an upgrade for you and even though it's a little old it is a great phone and for your purpose it will suit you well!!!

I will, thanks!

The battery life is not so good. I have to charge mine twice a day!

Well it's 2000mah after all.

An year and half ago, I paid 400$ in Dubai. 300 is bit on the higher side. I do see resuming . Buy not so annoying but wish it was nil. I am cyan and preview for dev. Rest everything is good. Battery is not great, but I do heavy browsing on 3G and brightness always kept at high. Goes around 6-7 hrs only. But its more or less the same since I got it.

But you can get a Lumia 920 with $230 on amazon. A new one.

The thing is, amazon doesnt ship here, even if i managed to get it somehow using another shipping service, the tax would be really high.

At work, I play music off of it almost all day, either streaming or MP3s on the phone to a bluetooth speaker. While I am sitting around at my desk, it's on a wireless charger all day, so it's hard to say for sure.

I don't think my battery life has decreased significantly over the course of owning my phone, but the 920 never was the best in the world at battery life anyway.

The 920 is still a great phone. Every bit as lasting as an iPhone 5/5S and about as fast. If you get it though I suggest signing up for the Developer Preview. Keeps your phone completely up to date. Plus it still has a year of updates and support on it still. Battery life is based on usage but I can get through a day on moderate usage.

Personal note, i find the 920 to be more feature complete than any other Lumia except for the 1520. Only thing that's missing is Qi charging.

Ok I got it, so battery life is moderate, but its almost as good as two years ago, such a great phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans