How do I move one WP device to another WP device?

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Moving from one WP device to another WP device.

I'm looking to upgrade my Lumia 900 to a Lumia 830 if MS ever gets around to releasing it here in the US. However, since the 900 was my first phone I'm not sure how you get all your stuff from one WP to another. My wife uses iPhones and they make it beyond simple. How do you do it on WP? Also does going from a 7.8 device to a 8.1 device cause any problems?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: Moving from one WP device to another WP device.

This is a good news, "not quite bad but less good" news scenario. The good news is backup and restore has been improved in WP8.1.1 so after your move any subsequent moves should be easier. Less good news is, moving from a WP7 device to a WP8 device is not quite so simple but still possible.

First make sure you're logging into your new device with the same MS account as your old phone. That will transfer over your contacts, calendar and emails. Cant remember if your apps will automatically transfer (been a while since I used a WP7 device) but at the very least you'd have to go through and manually install them again. Bad thing here is that unless they store their data online you're likely to lose data but that may not be an issue depending on what apps/games you have installed now. Worth noting that IE bookmarks, call history will also not transfer.

For your texts/(MMS?), the best way to get them to your new device is to use the Transfer My Data app from the Nokia collection. Last I checked it only copied your Inbox (and only a certain amount of each message) and not sent items.

After this once you should be good to go, shouldn't have any issues apart from the odd app that hasn't been ported to WP8 but its a good idea to have your old device handy for a while just in case. Think that covers it but if not hopefully someone else will chime in.

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Moving from one WP device to another WP device.

Thanks theefman, I was hoping it would be simple but suspected not. Looks like I will probably just start from scratch, well besides using the same acct, that way don't have to worry about any potential issues from the 7 to 8 situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos