Wireless charging can fry the battery?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Read somewhere that it's not really good for the battery to charge wirelessly. Yes, it's convenient, but does it pay off in the long run to use the good old cable?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Post your source for all of us to read. I highly think that wireless charging would be less harmful to the phone battery because there is no physical connection to the phone so voltage surges etc. would not happen. Certainly not an EE but just think this is the case.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Had our two Lumia 920's since Nov 2012. Charged wirelessly every night. Charging is charging. The charger cycles off when the battery is charged and the phones still last a full day on the charge.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've read that qi charging creates more heat, which batteries do not like.

However, I cannot tell if wireless charging creates more heat on the battery than typical wired charging, which certainly can heat up the phone.

After two years of using the qi charger almost daily on my 920, I wouldn't say that the battery life is significantly worse than my wife's, who plugs her phone in.

panmoria

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Heat leads to degredation of any battery, so the question is how much heat develops.

Also, I reckon quite some energy gets wasted in the process.

But thanks for the answers so far, real world experiences are always better than hearsay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans