Should I Buy a Windows Phone?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WPCentral Question

I have an iPhone 4 and am looking to upgrade. I'm happy enough with Apple, but I'm a little annoying at feeling locked in to iTunes. I recently bought a Windows desktop and thought using a Windows Phone might integrate nicely with that. I'd love to hear feedback, in particular to the following:

1. I hear a lot about the lack of good apps for Windows Phone. Is this still a major issue or is the gap narrowing?

2. What app do most people use to listen to music (i.e., what is the replacement for iTunes)?

3. Is there synergy between a Windows desktop and Windows Phone that I will enjoy (as opposed to Windows desktop with an iPhone or Android)?

4. I'm on AT&T, so would you go with the Lumia 830 ($99 on contract and $449 off contract) or HTC One M8 ($199 and $669? I'm due (overdue, in fact) for an upgrade. But because Windows is a new OS for me, I was thinking of going off contract, in which case I'd opt for the Lumia 830. That way, if it doesn't work out, I can revert back to an iPhone 6 or Android flagship at the contract price.

All feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Get a 520/521 then upgrade if you like the experience

If you want a low-end, cheap device, a Lumia 735 would be a good choice. If you want a large device, a Lumia 1520 would be a good choice. If you want a standard-sized flagship device, skip Windows Phone, because there's nothing to get on AT&T.

The Lumia 830 is a Lumia 920 with a better camera and worse GPU. It's just not an impressive device to use an upgrade on.
Stop dissing the 830. It's faster at tasks in real life and has a better camera than the 920. Get an 830 to get a premium experience at a cheap price.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It depends in part on what kind of user you are. In getting a WP you are taking on a hobby because it requires a lot of fiddling and tweaking. If you aren't the kind of person who wants to deal with that then don't get one. At this point we are still in the guinea pig phase as the product is far from mature so you have to be flexible. I like it, but if you are an iPhone type you probably won't. I agree with you on iTunes and Apple's restricted little world, it's highly annoying.

If you like a fire-and-forget device then stick with the other major OS's. The app store is ok, certainly much weaker than the others, but personally I'm not missing anything other than some more VPN clients.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
You just have to browse the site to answer your own question. Lots of times you have to do things like soft resets, hard resets, turn kids corner off and on, stand on one leg during a gibbous moon while holding the phone perpendicular to the ground, whatever. It's not a big deal, but if you're used to a brainless experience it can be a problem.

I saw a guy the other day grumbling about his 1020. When I told him how to fix his problem he didn't want to know, his attitude was "why should I have to do that, I never did on my other phone". A lot of people just want their stuff to work, they don't want to have to fool with it to make it work, it's just an appliance to them.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@jsooney

Dude... Life is filled with people who can't operate their tech and never learn how - no matter what that tech is. I talk to people all the time who need advice on their Android/iOS/BB 10/Windows/Mac/Roku/Game Console/Electric Shaver/what-have-you... Windows Phone is not special in that regard.

Some users operate their tech "brainlessly," but that's no guarantee their tech has no issues. :winktongue:

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Kinda sad to see our own community deterring users from even considering Windows Phone. How will we ever succeed if can't even advocate some of its virtues without ******** about its shortcomings... *sigh*

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Nobody can successfully help the OP because he/she is the only one who knows his/her needs.

To OP: The app gap is there for some and not there for others. It all depends on your needs. Like some have suggested, first look at the apps you have on the iphone and look in the windows phone store to see if you can find matches or alternatives. If you're satisfied with the app situation, pick a phone.

With the two phones you gave as options, I'd say go for the 830. If you're looking to buy a phone to try windows phone and plan to keep the phone if you like the OS, the 830 is your phone. If you're looking to buy a phone to try windows phone with the intention of getting rid of it in favour of a high end alternative if you like the Os, get the 635.

You can still easily get the iPhone 6 if you come to the conclusion that WP is not for you.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Kinda sad to see our own community deterring users from even considering Windows Phone. How will we ever succeed if can't even advocate some of its virtues without ******** about its shortcomings... *sigh*

When MS gives us something to defend, OP mentioned about itunes, I believe music is one of key use for him, should we make him buy a WP and let him be frustrated like rest of us with xbox music? even after numerous updates its still ****.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
@jsooney

Dude... Life is filled with people who can't operate their tech and never learn how - no matter what that tech is. I talk to people all the time who need advice on their Android/iOS/BB 10/Windows/Mac/Roku/Game Console/Electric Shaver/what-have-you... Windows Phone is not special in that regard.

Some users operate their tech "brainlessly," but that's no guarantee their tech has no issues. :winktongue:

Ppl need help and advice on their tech but it should work without workarounds, not the case with many issues in WP, every other day some or the other issue requires a soft reset or some workaround to work properly.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Oh my word reading the posts on here is like the funny papers, you have the haters the lovers and they all know it all. I went to Windows phone because it is simple straight forward and easy to work with and I like the look of it. I have installed maybe 10 app's on my phone and use two to three daily and they all work just fine compared to the android version, I also have Nexus 7 tablet so I do know how they compare. I am using my second Windows phone a 920 and I just ordered a new M8 Windows phone, I have never had to reset or soft reset or fiddle with my 920 or the 900 before it. I have used Apple and android and I think they are all nice phones, it all boils down to what works for you. If you are coming from an i-phone to a windows phone you will like a 800 series or 900 series phone they have the better camera's and better speed. Good luck in your search.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Surface Pro 3 and I loved it and thought.. SInce I going to get rid of my Ipad, maybe get rid of Iphone as well and go full Windows??..... I got the M8 (on Verizon) and have had it about two weeks and it is great. I play with the tiles everyday trying to find that perfect combination. It is a great phone... I have my family with their own tiles right on top, so I can call them in an instant...

The app gap is no big deal (for me anyway)... I am not dumping on the iphone, but the M8 is great....

Saying a particular phone is better or worse is asinine.... They all do a great job.... It is preference...Good luck with your choice... Keep us posted

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
cons of downgrading from iPhone to wp.
1.every app lags(loading and resuming problems minimum 1+second)including system apps.(have splash screen to hide loading screen)

2.better Microsoft services on iPhone when compared to wp.(office,Skype,OneDrive....)

edit: Not better,the best just tried on my friends iPhone.

3.windows store has 300,000+ apps but when it comes to quality don't expect the same as for iPhone.

4. IE 11 not as power full as safari.IE can't render even windows central website correctly sometimes it even crashes.

You do really want to get a wp,better hold back.Don't know what might come with windows 10 for phones.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When MS gives us something to defend, OP mentioned about itunes, I believe music is one of key use for him, should we make him buy a WP and let him be frustrated like rest of us with xbox music? even after numerous updates its still ****.

Xbox Music works fine for me for the part. No lag and limited bugs. The only thing that does something is sometimes it'll accidentally go to the next song. But Xbox Music has been perfect for me on my 1520. Well near perfect.

cons of downgrading from iPhone to wp.
1.every app lags(loading and resuming problems minimum 1+second)including system apps.(have splash screen to hide loading screen)

I notice lag even on Android apps as well. And I don't consider a second of launching an app on my 1520 lag. Lag to me is 5 seconds and that everything I do, it is always 3 steps behind me....And that never happens on my 1520.

2.better Microsoft services on iPhone when compared to wp.(office,Skype,OneDrive....)

edit: Not better,the best just tried on my friends iPhone.
My integration seems perfect on my Windows Phone and My surface tablet. I am not sure what exactly an Ipad/Mac can do that I can't do.

The fact I can save images on my phone to Onedrive and immediately go to my Surface on Windows 8.1 and see the phone in my library. Since Windows 8.1 and Phone 8.1, the integration is phenomenal.

I use IE as well, so I love the fact that my browser now syncs all my favorites and passwords and all that good stuff with my phone. I wasn't aware that APPLE had IE.

So no, Apple products do not offer full integration.

3.windows store has 300,000+ apps but when it comes to quality don't expect the same as for iPhone.
That's not Windows Phone fault. Let's blame the OS for stuff it can help. Blame Crap developers for not properly updating and maintaining their apps.

And even then....It's still not as bad as you make it out to be as well as there are alternatives that are loads better than their Android/IOS counter parts.

6tag > Instagram

Most youtube apps > Official youtube apps
4. IE 11 not as power full as safari.IE can't render even windows central website correctly sometimes it even crashes.

I actually sort of blame WC for that. Ever since that redesign, usability is a bit annoying, especially since it forces you into "MOBILE".

That being said, I have no issues with IE on most sites I visit. Nor does it crash on me often. Maybe once or twice in the last year I've owned my 1520
You do really want to get a wp,better hold back.Don't know what might come with windows 10 for phones.

No need to hold back. Windows phone 8.1 devices will get Windows 10.

Get yourself a Lumia 1520 or an Icon or a 1020 or if you must....sigh, Samsung or HTC, and enjoy the OS :) It is a good OS and has some shortcomings and Microsoft frustrates me sometimes but it is not a bad OS.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Sorry no place to quote and type your comment "superboy micah."

music is the standard functionality of any phone,why would a user expect a lag for music app.

So you have a flag ship device.How could you even compromise with a high end device which takes time to resume or open an app.These devices are meant to be buttery smooth based on their hardware functionality.

OneDrive is directly integrated to windows phone I even like that.Talking about sync OneDrive only sync photos present in camera roll and saved pictures but not pics in any other folder.In android every pic(no matter which folder) is directly sync to cloud.
And this is what i need for my phone.
Did not test with OneDrive for android.

Blame developers sure not all.Blame os sure that's what I do because of its limited functionality.
What to open app without lag see resuming screen for you app and vice versa.(got this based on proshot and video editor app updates).

didn't say that iPhone has ie.said safari browser.

At last the wp 8.1 introduced miracast but the older devices aren't supported.The same way after windows for 10(being huge update) is introduced there may be features which may not be capable for older devices .so we need to hold back.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
At last the wp 8.1 introduced miracast but the older devices aren't supported.The same way after windows for 10(being huge update) is introduced there may be features which may not be capable for older devices .so we need to hold back.

How is this any different from iOS? Are you aware that the latest iOS updates, even if they install on some of the older iPhones - DO NOT support all the same functionality? This is how it goes when you have an older device. You don't get everything the latest and greatest phone has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)