I use a third party prepaid SIM which covers both US & Canada but required an unlocked phone to use. Any one know where I could go to update my WP 8.0 to WP 8.1? TKS
    11-07-2014 02:11 PM
    Lumia Cyan is still under testing: Availability in North America - Nokia

When it does come out: run a backup on your phone, connect to computer and use Nokia Software Recovery Tool. It will erase your data, but install the latest official version to your phone... Then restore from backup. FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA
    The 928 is exclusively Verizon. You are dependent on them for the firmware, however you can run the Developer Preview (DP) for free. This would give you the latest and greatest but you could experience issues. I put it on mine because my 928 was a backup for my Icon. I didn't have any issues. I know the Icon has had a lot on the DP. I'm not sure if I was lucky with my 928 or if it just runs well on all 928's. You might be better off with a 925 as its similar, but has many carrier options available for firmware. I believe all carriers now have the Cyan firmware available which would officially give you 8.1
    11-07-2014 03:29 PM

When it does come out: run a backup on your phone, connect to computer and use Nokia Software Recovery Tool. It will erase your data, but install the latest official version to your phone... Then restore from backup. FAQ - How can I recover/reset/restore my phone software? - Microsoft - USA
    11-07-2014 04:43 PM
    I would agree with the backup, but you don't need the Nokia Software Recovery Tool unless your phone got screwed up with a firmware update or you wish to leave the Developer's Preview.

11-07-2014 04:50 PM
    I would agree with the backup, but you don't need the Nokia Software Recovery Tool unless your phone got screwed up with a firmware update or you wish to leave the Developer's Preview.
    He's carrier unlocked and off Verizon service... They (Vzw) won't spot his device when they do push Cyan.
    11-07-2014 05:13 PM
    I've heard people with rodgers phones still getting updates even though they never had service. I'm pretty sure its pushed through the internet regardless of if it has an active account or not. I also believe that once the update is approved Verizon will hand it back to Microsoft and Microsoft will be responsible for pushing the update.

He's carrier unlocked and off Verizon service... They (Vzw) won't spot his device when they do push Cyan.
    11-10-2014 10:28 AM