11-11-2014 07:27 PM
32 12
tools
    Ok... So in the UK the ads for the Lumia phones, surface pro and Cortana has been excellent on tv... Really good lately... Just saw an ad now about android. Not an actual ad of a phone...but an ad about android and what the OS can do...... I have to say.... It was an explosive advert that got everyone's attention here..... Could this be an official come back at Microsoft with the Lumia and Cortana ads?
    11-08-2014 05:21 PM
    My guess is it's probably directed more at Apple users than Windows Phone users.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
    FinancialP likes this.
    11-08-2014 05:26 PM
    It's probably directed at everyone, showing them what the new Android 5.0 can do.

To be honest Microsoft need to pull their finger out a bit.
    11-08-2014 05:33 PM
    It's probably directed at everyone, showing them what the new Android 5.0 can do.

To be honest Microsoft need to pull their finger out a bit.
    In the UK they really have. Been nothing but Lumia phones, service pro 3 and Cortana every channel I have been watching. But now seeing google trying to rival Cortana when it comes to asking questions. Siri is nowhere to be seen lol
    11-08-2014 05:50 PM
    In the UK they really have. Been nothing but Lumia phones, service pro 3 and Cortana every channel I have been watching. But now seeing google trying to rival Cortana when it comes to asking questions. Siri is nowhere to be seen lol
    Do you have a youtube video of this android commercial? I would like to see it before commenting on it.
    11-08-2014 06:33 PM
    I will check. Its the 1st time I ever saw it tonight. It had a popular rock song to it (forgot what it was) but yeah..... Got my attention
    11-08-2014 07:19 PM
    I came from Android and plan to go back soon... Mainly because I'm more familiar with it.. I will style like WP though :)
    Posted Via Tapatalk for Windows Phone.
    11-08-2014 09:41 PM
    I came from Android and plan to go back soon... Mainly because I'm more familiar with it.. I will style like WP though :)
    Posted Via Tapatalk for Windows Phone.
    Style like WP? You mean wear microsoft glasses, a beanie and a hoodie saying I love Windows Phone? :P
    11-08-2014 09:43 PM
    And do a bill gates and start giving your money away? I like the sound of that 😁
    11-08-2014 09:55 PM
    I will check. Its the 1st time I ever saw it tonight. It had a popular rock song to it (forgot what it was) but yeah..... Got my attention
    Party Hard by Andrew CK?

Few people buy Android phones for Android. A lot of people go into their phone store and buy the smart phone that the salesperson pushes on them, especially when the iPhone was small and it was easy to wow someone with a 5 inchish Galaxy Phone with the newest features, etc.

Google wants people to be aware that they are using Android, and more importantly, to look for Android next time they go phone shopping too. It's an odd identity crisis for the world's leading smartphone OS.
    11-08-2014 10:47 PM
    It's an odd identity crisis for the world's leading smartphone OS.
    That's probably true, especially when the most popular Android phones have alternate launchers and such. The other day at work one of our HR ladies asked me if I knew where she could get her phone's cracked screen repaired. I asked her what kind of phone she had, she said "a Samsung". I said, "Ah, an Android phone, nice." She said, "No, it's a Galaxy."
    11-08-2014 10:58 PM
    Do you have a youtube video of this android commercial? I would like to see it before commenting on it.
    This is the one I'm seeing on tv now, but they have a few different ones. *edit, I think I've seen other ones.

Last edited by Visa Declined; 11-08-2014 at 11:59 PM.
    pankaj981 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-08-2014 11:39 PM
    Looks like they are simply celebrating their popularity (and subtly implying the whole world uses Android).
    jmshub likes this.
    11-09-2014 09:14 AM
    Looks like they are simply celebrating their popularity (and subtly implying the whole world uses Android).
    I suppose, but I never really expected them to put Android commercials on TV. I wonder how far they're going to take this.
    11-09-2014 09:36 AM
    It feels like part of Android One trend!!
    11-09-2014 10:40 AM
    Few people buy Android phones for Android. A lot of people go into their phone store and buy the smart phone that the salesperson pushes on them, especially when the iPhone was small and it was easy to wow someone with a 5 inchish Galaxy Phone with the newest features, etc.
    I am sorry but this is simply not true. Every bit of legitimate market research has shown variant on a theme. The biggest hurdle Microsoft has is the fact that most buyers are comfortable with Android and ios because they are familiar with them. People (which is annoyingly generic term) are not having things forced on them - they are purchasing what they know. It is the same fundamental reason the Windows desktop OS market share remains 90+ percent. Even the dominance of IPads in the tablet market has done little to nothing to budge buyers from Windows to OSX. People stick with the familiar - IPads for tablets for and Windows for desktops/laptops even if they then complain about limitations of their choices.
    WillGrey likes this.
    11-09-2014 12:42 PM
    Most people really don't seem to know what Android is, just like most people don't know what iOS is. They know they have an Apple phone and that it's different. With the HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, etc phones, it's not uncommon to find people who don't know what Android is. They will just mention that it's a (insert brand) phone. Samsung did a lot of work with their Galaxy line in telling people that they should get it over iPhone. That's why people know it as a Galaxy and don't realize that it's similar to other Android offerings. People will stay what they're comfortable with, but at the same time I've had several people be interested in what phone I'm using because it looks cool. Then they'll ask me if it has (insert) app. Almost every time I'll have to say no, or tell them that it does, but the app is better on the phone that they currently have.
    jmshub likes this.
    11-09-2014 01:03 PM
    This is the one I'm seeing on tv now, but they have a few different ones. *edit, I think I've seen other ones.

TBH I actually liked the ad, looked kinda cool.
    11-09-2014 04:18 PM
    I hated the advert. Definitely wouldn't get me to by Android.
    I've not seen any Windows Phone adverts yet, so don't know if they would entice me.
    Apples adverts are not appealing to me, and although I've tried an iPhone (in store) I've never found it intuitive to use.
    11-09-2014 04:45 PM
    I just saw a cut-down version of that ad on US TV today. Broadcast TV, Fox network, early NFL game.
    11-09-2014 06:31 PM
    Um...what's the benefit? "Everyone is doing it?" I didn't see any technology in the commercial that made me say "oh wow, I have to have an android phone"...

I suppose you could say they argued that a variety of hardware running Android lets you be you, but I don't see why anyone would care about that. I feel that both Microsoft and Apple have demonstrated at various points in their product releases that hardware and software being collaborated on together within the same or a partnering company is a really good thing. (Nokia + Microsoft, or just Apple doing all of the hardware and software)

Is there any proof that hardware variety in the Android space has generated competition and therefore better products? I just feel like Samsung dominates it all, and everyone else is catching up. That's just a personal experience / opinion from time in the US and India though...
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-10-2014 05:00 AM
    What makes me curious is Microsoft got Panned for the creative and fun(imo) Surface Pro ads with the dancers.

Google releases an AD that doesn't even show the OS itself and people praise this. I enjoyed the click and dancers of the surface ad. It was what made me remember the surface in the first place. It definitely shows a double standard in the tech world. People figured Microsoft should show the OS more instead of the hardware and dancers yet google basically just did the same thing.

And people will remember Android not so much for what it can do but "Oh remember that fun commercial with people all over the world dancing?"
    mjrtoo likes this.
    11-10-2014 08:34 AM
    It also reminds me of this :P So Google is taking an old Microsoft tactic in a way :D

11-10-2014 08:37 AM
    What makes me curious is Microsoft got Panned for the creative and fun(imo) Surface Pro ads with the dancers.

Google releases an AD that doesn't even show the OS itself and people praise this. I enjoyed the click and dancers of the surface ad. It was what made me remember the surface in the first place. It definitely shows a double standard in the tech world. People figured Microsoft should show the OS more instead of the hardware and dancers yet google basically just did the same thing.

And people will remember Android not so much for what it can do but "Oh remember that fun commercial with people all over the world dancing?"
    The dancing schoolgirls in the Surface ad were pretty bad.

surface-ad-extended-fooateg.png

And the double standard that you're crying about, I haven't seen the tech media praise this Android commercial, so calm down.
    11-10-2014 11:09 AM
    It also reminds me of this :P So Google is taking an old Microsoft tactic in a way :D
    Those commercials are nothing alike.
    11-10-2014 11:12 AM
32 12