Unable to add second btinternet e-mail address to my lumia WP8.1?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

i have one btmail address already synced and have been using with no pboblem since i got the phone last year. bt tell me they are surprised i still can use this address on my phone and that i can't add a second address because microsoft has placed a restriction.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know anything about BT mail, so a little more information would help. Is it a POP mail address? I can't see any reason why Microsoft would restrict the amount of email addresses from a particular provider. Have you tried setting up a second email and received an error? If so, please give more information about the error.

ecoleman4

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
It has something to do with BT dropping out of BT Yahoo email JV this year. I recall being asked by BT at that time to delete my POP mail address and re-enter it as IMAP. It has continued to work no problem.

This weekend I tried to add a second BT mail address on my phone. In Settings I chose Other, then put the correct username and password. Got a message saying 'incorrect info.' So I tried using advanced set-up. It would sync and then say 'attention required' after what looked like establishing the address. A click on that though would take me back to password input and 'incorrect info.' A vicious cycle that BT chat people couldn't break.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I know it sounds silly but I had this same problem recently with my POP account. My email address had been compromised and I had to open a new one on the same provider and got the circular error message you get.

It finally turned out to be a misspelling in the Outgoing and incoming server info. I hope it's that simple for you to fix.

ecoleman4

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, this made sense to me:

I can't see any reason why Microsoft would restrict the amount of email addresses from a particular provider.

And so did this:

It finally turned out to be a misspelling in the Outgoing and incoming server info. I hope it's that simple for you to fix.

So, despite what the BT people told me, I took a deep breath and copied the settings of the BT mail address I'm currently using on the phone - though I swear I did this during the weekend - and spelled everything very carefully - though I swear I did this during the weekend... and the second address synced straight away. So it could have been operator error on my part, or BT's servers hanging during the weekend, or something else. Anyway, grateful for all your help and that it's resolved. Case closed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)