Where is the denim update why they are not rolling out. They've said it will be on q4 but when
    11-11-2014 09:37 AM
    Denim is currently in carrier testing. If Cyan told us anything, it may be a while before the carriers release it. The only saving grace is that it is not as big of an update as cyan was. I would guess by mid December depending on who your carrier is.
    11-11-2014 09:43 AM
    So what is it that your expecting from Denim update, that you don't already have with the Preview for developers download?
    11-11-2014 10:21 AM
    So what is it that your expecting from Denim update, that you don't already have with the Preview for developers download?
    Look it up on the internet. Denim is a firmware update which brings numerous enhancements and features not available with windows phone software updates.
    11-11-2014 10:31 AM
    Please excuse my ignorance on the matter of updates and the way the US cellular network providers work, but why don't you buy your phones unlocked? Would that solve the 'carrier testing' issue? Would you then be able to get updates directly from Microsoft?

Here in the UK I can walk into any Carphone Warehouse outlet and no matter what phone I buy, whether on PAYG or on Contract, it will be unlocked - identical to, but cheaper than, a 'sim free' handset.
    11-11-2014 10:42 AM
    I too buy unlocked phones, I get the updates as one of the first because it hasn't have the carrier testing stage. Also, if you buy a phone in my country (Netherlands) with a contract, it isn't branded either thus getting the updates also earlier. I too think its weird that the carriers brand their phones like Verizon etc. Almost no carrier in the NL does that anymore. The phones aren't sim-unlocked with a contract, but mostly not branded.
    11-11-2014 10:52 AM
    I don't know so much about branding here in the UK, but if you buy directly from the networks or most retail outlets, the phones WILL be locked. The only exceptions to this that I am aware of is the Three network which sells its phones unlocked, but they still have some branding in some cases, and giffgaff (a virtual network) which does not brand its phones.

Are matters very much different in the USA (and Canada)?
    anon(9174535) likes this.
    11-11-2014 11:06 AM