Can I use my Lumia 630 in Japan with any prepaid sim card? (data only)

Mickeyke

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
bMobile, NTT, eConnect offer prepaid sim card, for data-only usage in Japan for tourist, during their journey. (1-30 days)
Each of them has a Compatible Devices list, where none of Lumia (windows phone 8.1) can be found.
The answer to my question about the compatibility of my lumia 630 always fail with a simple polite reply.
Any real experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LTE support is right out as 630 does not have an LTE radio.

Do you have the RM-976 or RM-977?

Settings > extras + info > look down to the start of second paragraph at "manufacturer name."

The two models have different radios. Getting data is all about having a compatible radio. EDGE (or 2G) will be next to useless for you as it so slow. On the RM-976 you are limited to the 900/2100 frequencies for 3G/H+ data speed. That's pretty restricted. The RM-977 does better with 850/900/1900/2100 bands on the H+ radio... Nokia Lumia 630 - Full phone specifications

Most data uses 2 frequencies actually - one for uplink and one for downlink.

bMobile's site says you need 800/2100 bands - no match. Supported Devices | b-mobile VISITOR SIM
NTT Docomo is the same. Japanese data SIM card | 1GB Prepaid data SIM card for Japan - dataGO.co
The econnect is actually rebranded NTT Docomo and uses the same 800/2100 pairing. https://www.econnectjapan.com/products/sim/3gb

To be fair, my amateur study of international cellular frequencies leaves me with the opinion that Japan is an odd duck going their own way against modern international trends in this area of cellular use spectrums.

Softbank does provide 3G/H+ on the 900/2100 bands friendly to either Lumia 630 variant. However, it may be expensive. There is some sort of rental system for a local Japanese phone number attached to a SIM.

Mobile country code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lineup | SoftBank Global Rental

​Good luck and have a great trip.

Mickeyke

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
My phone is RM-978_1048, so I have 3G HSDPA 2100Mhz, which is suitable, I hope at least.
Any other technical requirements are welcome as well, like APN settings.
So, I nearly sure I can use it, I only have some bad experiences with Japan... :-/

Thanks for your answer

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh... The dual SIM. Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SIM - Full phone specifications

So 900/2100 on the 3G/H+ band only... Again, data needs both channels. One for uplink (most likely 800 MHZ on the services you listed) and one for downlink (probably 2100). Just having one frequency is not a match.

Great, you have the download link, but your requests never go to the service because you can't uplink!

I highly suggest you try Softbank: Lineup | SoftBank Global Rental as it seems the only match for both channels. If your 630 does not automatically read the SIM (and I believe it needs to be in slot 1 for data), Softbank should help you with APN settings.

Mickeyke

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
both channel simultaneously... I've got it already, thanks :-(
Somewhere I read 2100 OR 900, therefore I thougt.

So, I may need a portable Wifi router, like the eConnect WiFi-To-Go 3G (I can't link until 10 post, sorry)
It seems to be the best solution: good speed, unlimited usage, while one month hardly more expensive than a prepaid card.
SoftBank is 1.590 yen/ day, while eConnect is 375 yen/ day

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo