Could I get away with using a WP as a car GPS without using it with any carrier whatsoever? Merely downloading the maps using Wi-Fi.
    11-20-2014 07:09 AM
    Yep. You don't need a SIM to operate the GPS. However, it will take some time to find the GPS signal. Something to keep in mind.
    11-20-2014 07:17 AM
    install Here Drive from Nokia.
    They support offline maps and it works perferct.
    oviedofreak82 likes this.
    11-20-2014 07:30 AM
    Yep. You don't need a SIM to operate the GPS. However, it will take some time to find the GPS signal. Something to keep in mind.
    To be fair though, is this any different than a built-in GPS? Most cars with such systems do not have the benefit of cellular connectivity, right?
    11-20-2014 07:39 AM
    To be fair though, is this any different than a built-in GPS? Most cars with such systems do not have the benefit of cellular connectivity, right?
    Yes, but I was just informing them. When I travel abroad it usually takes anywhere from 2-5 minutes before a good connection is established. This is with my L920. Not sure if the newer models are better or if the built-in car ones have something better.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-20-2014 07:45 AM
    The issue most likely issue to get in the way of using WP as a car GPS is hearing the voice navigation messages over your car's speakers via Bluetooth. Where WP8 sent navigation messages as streaming audio (just like music), WP 8.1 sends each message as if it were a short phone call. Some car systems don't handle these short messages well. For example, the UConnect system included in Dodge/Chrysler cars cuts off the first 2 seconds of phone call audio. Since navigation messages are around 2 seconds long, well...if I hear anything at all it's only the last couple of words (often "and make a U-turn"). Some car systems handle these mini phone calls just fine, so you won't know until you try it out.
    11-20-2014 08:20 AM
    N_LaRUE has a point. Without cellular the pinpoint location takes more time. It requires satellite triangulation as there are no cell tower pings to hand off fine tuning.
    11-20-2014 09:34 AM
    N_LaRUE has a point. Without cellular the pinpoint location takes more time. It requires satellite triangulation as there are no cell tower pings to hand off fine tuning.
    Not to sure iIcan agree with this as iI tried here drive with airplane mode on and location off and it worked perfectly.
    11-20-2014 07:34 PM
    No lag on initializing in Airplane? Accurate lock on Location when Here Drive starts up?
    11-20-2014 08:04 PM
    Both my L920 and L1520 are having problem in search function when the data is OFF = I can't use it as if it is a standalone GPS without telco SIM/data enabled.
    That is, when I searched for a location/street name/postal code, it will return a message asking me whether I want to search offline. Of course I selected YES, but it simply can't locate.

Is this normal? Anybody facing same issue?
    11-25-2014 08:57 AM
    Turn data off, but WiFi must be on for GPS if cellular is off.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    11-25-2014 09:09 AM
    Turn data off, but WiFi must be on for GPS if cellular is off.
    Which means it is not a true standalone/offline GPS since some data is still required? What happened to all the map data we have downloaded?
    11-25-2014 09:22 AM
    Which means it is not a true standalone/offline GPS since some data is still required? What happened to all the map data we have downloaded?
    No, you need Wi-Fi or Cellular for the GPS radio to work. But not for data.

The GPS is a Radio (receiver). If you turn off the Cellular Radio AND the Wi-Fi Radio, GPS is effectively off.

Wi-Fi does not need to be connected to anything, it just needs to be on if your cellular is off (e.g. Airplane mode).

It is very much a standalone GPS.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    11-25-2014 03:00 PM
    You dint need WiFi or network for it to work. Location can be turned off too. I tried and tested this... I was in the car and halfway through I decided to turn airplane mode on...everything was turned off.... Here maps worked perfectly. Maybe its just typing in the address you may need a network signal but as soon as it starts navigation you can turn airplane mode on and it works perfectly
    Timbre70 likes this.
    11-25-2014 04:25 PM
    Both my L920 and L1520 are having problem in search function when the data is OFF = I can't use it as if it is a standalone GPS without telco SIM/data enabled.
    That is, when I searched for a location/street name/postal code, it will return a message asking me whether I want to search offline. Of course I selected YES, but it simply can't locate.

Is this normal? Anybody facing same issue?
    Dumb question but you do have the maps downloaded to the phone?

I've used HERE maps in several countries with no data and never encountered this issue. Ensure your maps are up to date. If the area is relatively new then there's always the chance it won't find the address.

You do not need WiFi or Data to use GPS. It works perfectly without it. The only issue is as I stated above that it may take time to connect to the GPS signal.
    11-26-2014 05:34 AM
    Thanks for the various responses and like to clarify that
    - I have all the necessary maps downloaded and updated (recently);
    - I have never encountered this issue until recently after I had the maps updated;
    - I have my data off, but my wifi is defaulted as ON all the time (double-checked=yes); it's ON, but may not be connected to any nearby wifi.

The real issue is, I can't even locate my own home and other saved favourites. I have also tried resetting, but it does not solve until I activate the data.
    Yes, I am willing to pay for data in my country, but I wouldn't want to pay for expensive data when travelling, and I am travelling soon and also would want to be assured that I am able to use my Lumia as a standalone GPS. But, now.....
    11-26-2014 07:45 AM
    Thanks for the various responses and like to clarify that
    - I have all the necessary maps downloaded and updated (recently);
    - I have never encountered this issue until recently after I had the maps updated;
    - I have my data off, but my wifi is defaulted as ON all the time (double-checked=yes); it's ON, but may not be connected to any nearby wifi.

The real issue is, I can't even locate my own home and other saved favourites. I have also tried resetting, but it does not solve until I activate the data.
    Yes, I am willing to pay for data in my country, but I wouldn't want to pay for expensive data when travelling, and I am travelling soon and also would want to be assured that I am able to use my Lumia as a standalone GPS. But, now.....
    aIrplane mode= depends on the phone model and operating system.

some devices/os require the phone to be in normal receiving modes for the agps chip to function. this has nothing to do with the application or maps used. the agps functionality is the key, find out about that before anything else. test it yourself.

another issue is distance traveled last gps lock. this is the "it will take forever to lock" that you're hearing about. the agps needs helper data for geographic locations that are far apart. it will only take a long time to acquire the location the first time in that new location. after that, it will be very fast.

afterwards, yes, I've been using several models of phones in airplane mode for on and off-road mapping applications for years. there is more functionality in phone apps then a stand alone gps currently.

it's too bad there aren't good mapping applications on wp for me to recommend, but the platform just doesn't have the user base to justify developers producing apps for all three platforms. here beta is about as good as it gets currently, and its basically useless once a hiking backpack and gpx tracks are introduced. on android and ios, there are fantastic backpacking applications, that work entirely offline
    Timbre70 likes this.
    11-26-2014 08:02 AM
    Dumb question but you do have the maps downloaded to the phone?

I've used HERE maps in several countries with no data and never encountered this issue. Ensure your maps are up to date. If the area is relatively new then there's always the chance it won't find the address.

You do not need WiFi or Data to use GPS. It works perfectly without it. The only issue is as I stated above that it may take time to connect to the GPS signal.
    There may be firmware bugs on some phones or some firmware versions which do require it, because when I was in the middle of GA with Airplane mode on my L920, it did not lock for 30 minutes. I enabled Wi-Fi and it locked in 3 minutes.
    11-26-2014 02:42 PM
    There may be firmware bugs on some phones or some firmware versions which do require it, because when I was in the middle of GA with Airplane mode on my L920, it did not lock for 30 minutes. I enabled Wi-Fi and it locked in 3 minutes.
    please read my comment above fully
    11-26-2014 02:52 PM