Fee for screen replacement

Marc Cupido 44

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys my girlfriend dropped her 1020 a couple of weeks ago and got a small crack at the bottom of the phone. The screen stil works perfectly buy we decided to go to a Nokia care shop to ask how much it would cost to replace but they charged is about $12 just to check how much it would cost.

Is that how they do it? Because the phone is just a year old also on my 1020 the top of my screen by the front facing camera is starting to become loose so they wanted to charge me also just to check how much it would cost

Both our phones are still on warranty and I'm now not willing to drive there for info which they wil charge me for.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Where are you located? For your phone it should be free of charge and under warranty if it has not been a year. For the girlfriend's phone you might be able to get it repaired cheaper someplace other than Nokia. There are plenty of Do It Yourself videos on You Tube for the Lumia 1020 LCD. And instead of the digitizer you are better off purchasing the entire LCD assembly on eBay.
Good luck.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm from south africa, she decided to just leave it and replace it when it gets worse.

My main question was are they allowed to charge you just to check how much the damage will cost?

In the USA we just contact them via the internet and out comes a mailing sticker and off the phone goes to Nokia and either they fix it for free in warranty and send it back or just send you a replacement device. Why don't you tweet them and see what the policy is in RSA?

By the way where are you in SA? I have family back there in Joburg, Cape Town, Durban and PE.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I am from cape town area but tried this when I was visiting my girlfriend in Pretoria. I'll try the twitter or facebook option but just couldn't understand they charge to look at the phone
I guess we are a bit spoiled here in the USA. Nokia, Apple and Google have all replaced devices for me for free and no charges for diagnosis as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa