Not getting Cortana in the UK on a Lumia 625?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi

I got a Nokia Lumia 625, I live in the UK, It has windows 8.1, but so far no Cortana?
Anybody got a clue how I can get it, I have seen all the adverts on the telly for it so i know its out now.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
To get Cortana in the UK at this moment you have 3 options.

1 Buy a new phone with Cortana so a 735/930

2 Change your settings to the US

3 Join the developers preview (Not as scary as it sounds and this is what I have done on my 1520).

There is a fourth option but it doesn't get you Cortana now, and that is be patient and wait for the upgrade.

Basically Cortana is part up 8.1 upgrade 1 and this isn't on general release in the UK yet.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
You have to set it up. From the homescreen, swipe to the right which will take you to Settings. Scroll up until you reach the letter C, and you should find the Cortana icon. Click on that and set up.

Also, for the UK Cortana, make sure your region is set to UK and your language is English UK. Any mismatch in region and language and things may not work as expected.

That's how it works on the L735.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cortana in the UK region is tied to the following factor:

- having Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. (recent phones tend to launch with versions of software not yet available to current models)

In 8.1 (original), Cortana was US only, which is what you have now.

I recommend getting into the Developer Preview for sooner access to Cortana and other things.
Although, you could just change your region to the US, although localization means some things might be off.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am with Xandros9 on this, but it's best with an explanation.

The Developers Preview Program was set up so that developers could test new updates before general release, when Microsoft have an update, they also have to let the carriers (Vodafone, EE etc) have a look and make sure it all works with their parts of the phone (Normally crap that no one uses) but this delays the release, if MS can already have Cortana on new phones, it should work on all of them.

So MS came up with the idea of letting anyone join the developers preview program and although you don't get the whole update that is coming, you do get stuff like Cortana, so to go into that a bit deeper, you don't get the Firmware part of an update that are called by names, so Black, Cyan and the latest that is on it's way Denim, but you do get any other parts like Cortana and nestable tiles.

From my understanding as of recently going on the DPP is not as much of a jump as it used to be, so when the Firmware comes out you will end up with exactly the same update as if you waited.

However you do have to understand when you do an update there is a warning, you do it at your own risk. However as mentioned after months of waiting for Cortana my lad bought a 930 and it had Cortana installed and I was a bit miffed, so I signed up, it took about an hour I suppose as three full updates had to download and install, on a slower phone this could take an evening, but in my opinion it was worth it as I am now out of the very slow hands of the carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium