What is the best Windows Phone for a non tech Elderly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimnMelinda

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone for non tech Elderly

My 77 year old mother is wanting to step up to something more than a flip phone.

You have to understand, the direct tv remote can be a bit of a challenge (With dvr, recording shows, playing recordings etc)

Would a lower end Lumia be a good choice, how can I simplify it best?
I know android has some alternate launchers they say are good to simplify phones for seniors.

I myself am not a windows phone expert at this point, my first a lumia 830 is to arrive in todays mail if all goes well. Any advice for me on a phone for my mother? (As well as making it as simple as possible at least to start!

Thanks
Tim

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone for non tech Elderly

If you get the phone you can configure the tiles screen to suit so unpin every tile and then only put back the ones your relative will need, you can then sort out the main contracts and maybe pin them so they just call lots of configuration to play with before you hand it over and give them a teaching session.

Aaron Yawn

May 2, 2013
Visit site

My 77 year old mother is wanting to step up to something more than a flip phone.

You have to understand, the direct tv remote can be a bit of a challenge (With dvr, recording shows, playing recordings etc)

Would a lower end Lumia be a good choice, how can I simplify it best?
I know android has some alternate launchers they say are good to simplify phones for seniors.

I myself am not a windows phone expert at this point, my first a lumia 830 is to arrive in todays mail if all goes well. Any advice for me on a phone for my mother? (As well as making it as simple as possible at least to start!

Thanks
Tim

Sorry about above post, hit the wrong button.

So I got my Dad onto a 928 for his ffirst smart phone. He is old 67 and cranky, but has figured out how to use it by having just there main things on the start screen. It text, takes pictures, and makes phone calls. That's what he cares about 😊. I can certainly see a 5 or 6 series being useful your Mom.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I bought my Mom a 920 when they first came out, and she still loves it. Recently, I bought my a Dad a 1320, and he loves that one...and Mom is a bit jealous now. I'd say a 1320 if only for the screen size... Both of my parents have eyesight on par with 70 year olds, and appreciate the easy viewing provided by the 1320's screen.

TimnMelinda

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site

Sorry about above post, hit the wrong button.

So I got my Dad onto a 928 for his ffirst smart phone. He is old 67 and cranky, but has figured out how to use it by having just there main things on the start screen. It text, takes pictures, and makes phone calls. That's what he cares about ��. I can certainly see a 5 or 6 series being useful your Mom.

I was going to purchase a couple of the 635's from MS yesterday (1 for her, 1 for a back up spare) but was an hour too late, they were gone.
So a 39.00 520, or should I maybe go a 69.00 635 is one much better than the other? I am thinking the slightly larger screen of the 635 could be a plus for her aging vision, just makes me mad to have missed the deal! I am thinking setting it up real basic!

Oh I know some phones use micro sim cards vs standard cards, Her current phone is an LG A380 flip, does anyone know if that is a card that would fit into the Lumia or would I have to visit AT&T for new card too? It would be nice if they uses same size card then if she does not take to new fancier phone, I can switch her right back to the flip.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I just gave my mother-in-law my 920. It is her first smartphone. So far, I think she's doing ok with it, but I've only scratched the surface. I have a lot more classes to go before she's fully proficient. I had to go back to the very beginning for her, explaining how to use the lock screen button to light up the screen, she'd have the same learning curve with android or ios as well.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
​The great thing about Windows Phone, it can be customized for each user. Any model will do in that regard, just as all the above posters adequately related.

That said... The 925 is a work horse and a great camera for point and shoot. I loved my 925.

TimnMelinda

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Well I am thinking the WP idea is a good one
probably a 920 or a 635 for her.

Thing is I think the 920 is overkill in some ways but some of the features would still be nice for her, even if she uses it for more basic services.
What do you think?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I are older and own 635's in addition I have the 521 and 925 also.

The 635 in my opinion is unbeatable in any realm.
A wide range of members here are using the 635.

RumoredNow stated:
​The great thing about Windows Phone, it can be customized for each user. Any model will do in that regard
So true...

I never have to concentrate intensely to use Windows on a phone.
The tiles are pictographic and extremely easy to navigate I could go on and on.
The OS fits high end to rock bottom easily.
Go for the 635...

Best of luck!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Just gave my mom a 928. She got it yesterday and is playing around with it. Granted, she took my old Nook Color years ago (and then promptly put stock Android on it) and recently bought a larger Samsung tablet, so she isn't completely new to the touch screen concept.

Thinking of seeing what my dad would think of a 1320 next year (older and he would be new to the touch screen thing, heh).

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Followup: I live around 600 miles away, so tech support is through slow, painful phone calls or remote desktop sessions. There is no way I would want to support an Android device remotely. And ww don't have the budget for Apple devices for ourselves, so the parents aren't getting them from us. ;) WP it is.

I saw somewhere recently that the beauty of WP really is just picking out the hardware -- software is basically the same. So pick out a good fit for them and off you go.

Got my mom the 928 since she also needed a good camera to replace her old P&S and between the 920 sensor, f/2 lens, and xenon flash, it's a solid performer all around. And it will work on AT&T (or based) prepaid services also, which helped make my decision.

You may want to look into yesterdays flagships as they are often a bargain at used prices.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site

My 77 year old mother is wanting to step up to something more than a flip phone...
Tim

Since the Lumia 520/525/620/720 are "outdated", anything from the Lumia 530/630/635 & 535 (which will be released soon) will be perfect for your mother.

Btw. Please note that I am recommending only the low end phones because I don't think your mother needs an expensive phone with 8mp camera or fast processor for playing games. Low end phones will be the better choice.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Since the Lumia 520/525/620/720 are "outdated", anything from the Lumia 530/630/635 & 535 (which will be released soon) will be perfect for your mother.

Btw. Please note that I am recommending only the low end phones because I don't think your mother needs an expensive phone with 8mp camera or fast processor for playing games. Low end phones will be the better choice.

Higher end phones get better screens (with features like CBD), more memory for overall smoother performance. I find having the auto brightness is great, and I can't imagine trying to explain how they need to remember to turn up the brightness before going outside for some of those phones.

A used phone can be a great bargain. 92x series phones run around $100-125 in very good condition -- great deal right there, imo.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site

Higher end phones get better screens (with features like CBD), more memory for overall smoother performance. I find having the auto brightness is great, and I can't imagine trying to explain how they need to remember to turn up the brightness before going outside for some of those phones.

A used phone can be a great bargain. 92x series phones run around $100-125 in very good condition -- great deal right there, imo.

Well yes, if you can get a 920 at the price of a 635, then why not.

TimnMelinda

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site

Well I just ordered her an unlocked 920 from B&H

I figure it will give her a flash for camera, she likes taking pictures, this will be good for when she does not have her DSLR Camera with her!
Beyond that if she does not take to it and wishes to go back to her flip phone,
It will make a better back up spare phone for my wife and I (830 models) or my daughters Iphones if one of us ends up having phone troubles.

Any words of wisdom, I am going to strip the front to bare basics as advised by several of you, and see how she does from there

Tim

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well you can get the the 535 (dual sim) off amazon.com right now for $117 dollars, that would be the perfect low end phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-530-Factory-Unlocked/dp/B00M36G14I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417030641&sr=8-3&keywords=530

Edit:
Disregard, just noticed the OP's post re: the 920.

To the op, once you get the 920 I would suggest you install cyan so this way you can have more than three columns and the notification centre will come in handy. Hunting around for notifications can get some what cumbersome :), plus you do get speed dial and not to mention the behavior of hubs has changed i.e the photo hub launches into a grid view of all pictures sorted in ascending chronological order. Whereas pre 8.1 / cyan it will launch in a panorama mode showing your favourite pictures and a menu.

Therefore it would probably be best if she got used to the workings of 8.1 on the get go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos