Surface Pro 3 vs Dell XPS 13. Which is better for MATLAB and everydau computing?

W

WPCentral Question

I will be running Split Step Fourier Method simulations of optical pulses propagating through fiber.
Also I will be writing my thesis. Not primarily on the laptop, I have a desktop that most of the work will be done on.
I want a laptop that I can take with me without being too heavy but that can also handle some of the simulations.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think both are good laptops, and pretty even when looking at performance. both have the same capability with processer, and ram. If you are close to a Microsoft store, I would side on the surface pro 3, since you would get really good support. when I have my Dell venue 8 pro, I had to send it to them and was without a machine for a period of time. if you have an issue with the surface pro, and you bought it from one of the MS stores, I couldn't see you being down for anymore then a day. Also, they are having some great black Friday deals coming up...

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I will be running Split Step Fourier Method simulations of optical pulses propagating through fiber.
Also I will be writing my thesis. Not primarily on the laptop, I have a desktop that most of the work will be done on.
I want a laptop that I can take with me without being too heavy but that can also handle some of the simulations.

Given I believe MATLAB is pretty resource intensive at times, I would suggest the XPS 13. It may not be a convertible but it is also not very heavy and does offer more room (and fan support) for the processor to cool when under full load. My only hesitation is the fact that the product has Dell in the name. Every Dell I have used, setup, etc., in the past few years has suffered from significant quality control defects and working with Dell support has always been (at best) annoying. Surface support, which I have also used, takes minutes rather than hours, and the people have all spoken English as their first language....

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The IT firm I work for has received only one complaint about the Pro 3, and it is a consistent one: The resolution is too high for the screen size when dealing with non-MS applications.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon