I am looking to enable two factor authentication on my Microsoft account. How does my windows computer authenticate?
    11-25-2014 07:08 PM
    Once you log into your computer, you are good to go. Your computer can be labeled as a "Trusted Device". If you have to log into any apps that use your Microsoft account, you'll be asked to provide a code that can be sent by email, text, or from the authenticator app on your Windows Phone.
    Once you log into your computer, you are good to go. Your computer can be labeled as a "Trusted Device". If you have to log into any apps that use your Microsoft account, you'll be asked to provide a code that can be sent by email, text, or from the authenticator app on your Windows Phone.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-25-2014 07:18 PM
    Love the 2 Step cha-cha.
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    11-25-2014 07:50 PM
    I use the authenticator app Authenticator | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) . It creates a six digit number that changes every thirty seconds. If the authenticator app is unavailable, you also provide alternative means for Microsoft to contact you, either an alternative email address, or a telephone number which they can use to call you or text you. I have this 2FA access turned on for my three Microsoft accounts, Gmail, and LastPass.
    11-25-2014 08:07 PM
    I use the authenticator app Authenticator | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) . It creates a six digit number that changes every thirty seconds. If the authenticator app is unavailable, you also provide alternative means for Microsoft to contact you, either an alternative email address, or a telephone number which they can use to call you or text you. I have this 2FA access turned on for my three Microsoft accounts, Gmail, and LastPass.
    Two step really is a very useful tool. The only thing I wish MS would add to their security protocols is the ability to send warnings to your phone or email if an attempt to log into your account is made from an unrecognized IP address or location.
    This isn't possible, is it?
    jmshub likes this.
    11-25-2014 08:56 PM
    ^ That would be a great feature. I do not believe that is currently supported.
    11-25-2014 09:05 PM
    Anyone not using 2FA wherever possible these days is asking for trouble.
    Scienceguy Labs and jmshub like this.
    11-25-2014 09:34 PM