Can anyone give me some advice regarding running Android apps on a Win 7 tablet?

wescat

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Advice needed regarding running Android apps on Win 7 tablet

I just purchased a used, ruggedized 7" tablet that runs windows 7. I will use this tablet as a dedicated GPS on my motorcycles. I greatly prefer the current Android GPS navigation apps over the current crop of windows compatible GPS navigation software.

So, my question(s) all pertain to how best to get Android apps to work on this tablet:

1) I could run them via an Android emulation, such as bluestacks. I have no experience with these type programs, so I have no idea how this would work.
2) Is it possible to do a clean install of some version of the Android OS on this tablet? Again, never done it, so I have no idea how well it would work.
3) I have heard that the Nokia "Here" GPS app is pretty good, but as best I can tell they do not offer a windows 7 version.
4) Perhaps some of the Android GPS apps are offered in a WIndows 7 version as well? Although I do not know how to determine this.
5) Something else?

Any help is appreciated.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Advice needed regarding running Android apps on Win 7 tablet

Knowing exactly what Tablet might be helpful...

1) I played with BlueStacks for a minute when it first came out. I tried it on a Win 7 laptop with an AMD Athlon dual core 2GHz and 4GB RAM. It was laggy and fussy and not everything would load in terms of apps. I know BlueStacks has improved since then, but I imagine at your Tablet specs there will be performance issues to consider.
2) I'm going to go ahead and say no. Android is not going to install on your tablet just as a general rule. To double check do a web search for "<tablet name> flash android" and most likely you will see lots of people asking, but no definite yes answers.
3) I love Here maps. More so than Google Maps, but everyone has their own preference. I believe Windows 8.1 is required for a Here Desktop App. There is a Here Beta you can try from any browser.
4) I'm going to say you picked the wrong device for your target goals. Maybe trade the tablet you have for an Android tablet. If not ruggedized, put it in a waterproof pouch style protector.
5) Yes... Something else sounds right to get you back on target.

wescat

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

Knowing exactly what Tablet might be helpful...

1) I played with BlueStacks for a minute when it first came out. I tried it on a Win 7 laptop with an AMD Athlon dual core 2GHz and 4GB RAM. It was laggy and fussy and not everything would load in terms of apps. I know BlueStacks has improved since then, but I imagine at your Tablet specs there will be performance issues to consider.
2) I'm going to go ahead and say no. Android is not going to install on your tablet just as a general rule. To double check do a web search for "<tablet name> flash android" and most likely you will see lots of people asking, but no definite yes answers.
3) I love Here maps. More so than Google Maps, but everyone has their own preference. I believe Windows 8.1 is required for a Here Desktop App. There is a Here Beta you can try from any browser.
4) I'm going to say you picked the wrong device for your target goals. Maybe trade the tablet you have for an Android tablet. If not ruggedized, put it in a waterproof pouch style protector.
5) Yes... Something else sounds right to get you back on target.

RumeredNow, thank you for your input.

The tablet is a DPS Armor X7, which have been out of production for a year or so. The exact version I won't know until it gets here, but it is a windows 7 unit. These are supposed to be well made ruggedized tablets. They also made one that ran the Android OS, I'm still looking for one of those. Here is a review in case you are interested: ruggedpcreview.com/3_slates_drs_armor_x7_full.html (preface with www, I'm new on this board and it won't allow me to post links yet)

1) I have heard the same wrt bluestacks, and I would think that a GPS app might bring out its fussy-ness.

2) I assume hardware developers design to an OS, so I'm at least doubtful that the Android OS would run properly. I'd be an elegant solution, though. And there are people doing it.

3) I have heard good things about Here maps and Here drive. I use a GPS on and off road, so off line map sets are required, which Here does do. I currently use Locus Pro and Osmand+, sometimes Backcountry Navigator. I'm am very much still a GPS neophyte.

4) Perhaps, but using this tablet will increase both my GPS and tablet skill set, both of which I am in favor of. I have done the pouch/bag/case route, I do not prefer it at all. They fail and leak. Screen manipulation is aggravated. Charging through wall in the bag is problematic. Screen clarity is worse, etc....

A fresh install of windows 8.1 and then using Here might be my best first iteration with this new (for me) tablet.

Where can I go to ask questions and learn about Here maps, other than Here.com ?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Looks like you are out of support life for that device...

As I suspected, the Win 7 uses a different CPU from the Android version. No cross compatibility for switching the OS. It also looks very locked down and difficult to hack. I can't see where any OS update was ever offered. This kind of Mil Spec product is most often one-off and not privy to updates. They are made to be self contained and run until they die.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb